when did you start potty training and did you have set backs?

saralee87

Asked by saralee87 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Age 3, when they were dry at night. It took one weekend. There were very few accidents after that, I'd say maybe 2 in the next week and rare after that.

Answer by Bmat at 2:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well, it depends on what you mean by started.
    I got the potty at 12 months and let her play with it and sometimes sat her on it. She always jumped up and ran away.
    I got some storybooks at 15 months. She liked the books but still ran away from her potty.
    I got some DVDs at 18 months. She liked the videos and the songs but still ran away from her potty.
    I got some training pants around 23 months and she just wet them. By the way, they are junk. They don't hold ANY pee and the plastic pants that go over them cause instant diaper rashes. She still ran away from her potty.
    I let her run around in the backyard without pants a few times and quickly got her to the potty when she did start to go. She ran away.
    It was probably the 10th such "Let's get you to the potty!" when she finally got it and sat there long enough to go. That was around 27 months.
    She's been in panties ever since.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It also depends on what you mean by setbacks.
    She still won't poop in the potty - only in a diaper during her nap or when she first goes to bed. That's common and just takes time for her to get comfortable with the idea of pooping in the potty.
    Wearing diapers or a pullup for naptime or bedtime is also common for many years. And from everything I've read, any attempt to "night time train" should wait until the child has been fully daytime trained for at least 6 months. If the child self-trains, great. If not, then they need to have a good grasp of it in the day first.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2009