Is there a law that says how many people per bedroom in an apartment??

We are looking for an apartment and I have 3 small girls 1, 3 and 5 and we need to downsize, we have a 5 bed room right now but are looking for 2-3 bedroom apt.'s

Is there a law that says 5 people can't live in a 2 bedroom apt.? Do we need to look at 3 bedrooms? I live in TN if that helps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2012 in Home & Garden

• I've read responses from similar questions that do say there is a law. I think more than a law its a landlords requirement.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• I'm not sure I think it is 2 persons per bedroom or 2 person and an infant per bedroom. It just makes sense.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• The apartment complex I lived in told us we couldn't have more than 2 people per bedroom which was per the local Fire Marshall. Just what I was told...we have 5 children. They were okay with us moving into a 3 bedroom since 2 of the children were only with us every other weekend...my stepsons lived w/ their mom the majority of the time.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• You would need to ask the owner or apartment complex. Every state might have different laws. I think you would be ok in 3 bedroom though.

Answer by gemgem at 10:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• It would most likely be a city or township law, not a state law.
    I would start by asking the landlords, they should know.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• I've SEEN many people say there is a law, BUT when you really start digging around for it....they don't come up! In most cases there is HIGHLY suggested that children off the OPPOSITE sex don't share a room pass the age of 5, but seeing you have all girls that does NOT apply to you.

Even though there might not be any laws that will banned you from having 2 bedrooms you may find landlord, of 2 bedroom apartments, not wanting to rent to you, because of the number of children that will share a room. We own our own home now, but when we rented landlords, in our area, were very clear they only wanted two children per bedroom -- We only have 2 one boy, one girl. When we rented the two bedroom they both were under the age of 2 so sharing a room was not an issue for us, but our landlord made it clear if we had another child we would have to move out.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• The only time most people (landlords) will care about the number of people in an apartment is if it's a bunch of friends, or whatever, because that runs the risk of them not paying rent. Like... if it involves a bunch of people collectively paying rent, when not one person can afford to cover it entirely themselves, and they aren't really sure what could go wrong... they usually won't let it happen. If it's a family, it should be no problem.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• It is not a law as much as it is or is not a county/city ordinance. Like out city has a single family home ordinance. Which comes down to 2 people over the age of 12 months per room.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• usually fire code determines occupancy limits
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2012

• I would think it also depends on the square footage of the room.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2012