how do i get my 2 and half year old to sleep in his own room without making him cry it out.

Asked by mrs.shyness at 2:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• honestly thats the only way... after a couple days they learn... is this the first time your doing it? you may have started a little late... my son is almost 2 now and doesnt give me a problem for the most part... i just make sure he has a bottle his poor bear and a night light on... sometimes he cries out but it only last 15-20 min.

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• When my youngest was about that age, he knew he wasn't to come into my room, so he carried his pillow and slept outside our door. When I found him I'd walk him back to his bed and tuck him in. But by morning there he'd be again. I asked his doctor who said we don't know what goes on in a 2 year old's mind. That their minds work much faster than the adult mind. To just be patient and he'd eventually grow out of it, and he did.

Answer by Bmat at 2:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• noi i have done this 3 times already, but his dad lets him go sleep in our bed.

Answer by mrs.shyness at 2:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Hmmm Is he maybe getting too tired? The only time my ds puts up a stink about bedtime is if he is just exhausted from a busy day or sick. Maybe try getting into a very strict routine. Dinner time, play time, snack time, pajamas on, teeth brushed, read a book, bed.
    At least that works for my almost 2yr old. Either way Good Luck!!

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• There are many ways. The biggest one and what I did with my son was I laid in his bed with him til he fell asleep then I went to bed. I had to get up every time he got up and put him back to bed. It took me one month, but each day he got up less and less. After a month he sleeps in his bed all on his own. There is some crying involved, but I never left the room if he was crying. He has been sleeping on his own now for a few years. Good luck

Answer by JuliaMBrink at 5:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Cry it out is not the only way, not even close. Read The No Cry Sleep SOlution by Elizebeth Pantley. It worked wonders with my son and quickly(it took us under 2 weeks). It offers suggesions for a variety of situations.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i got him to sleep in his own bed now how can i get him to sleep wthrough the night.. i had him going to bed iwth a cup of water, but now he thinks he needs milk all night. i have been trying to give him milk during the day so he wont need it at night time.

Answer by mrs.shyness at 12:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2009