what did your mom do while pregnant with you/when you were a baby that's now seen as bad or wrong?

I was one of the last babies put to sleep on my tummy (I'm 20). My mom ate all kinds of fish while pregnant with me and she drank all the caffeine she wanted. She gave me karo syrup when I was constipated, and water waaaay before the now-recommended age.

So what sort of stuff (if you know about it) did your mom do with you when you were a baby, or while she was pregnant with you, that nowadays is practically considered child abuse? OR if you have older adult children, what sort of stuff did you do with them that's now considered bad?

:o]

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 2:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• all of that. that is why i can't understand when moms get on here and think it is so terrible to give babies this and that. what do you think they used to do?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My mom did the sleeping on tummy time, but so did I. Reason is because I lost my neice to SIDS and she was a back sleeper and I also lost a cousing to it who was a side sleeper. I don't believe sleep position has a ton to do with. Sometimes it's just meant to be. She also did the Karo Syrup thing.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My mom gave me all kinds of table foods before the recommended age we have today. I was drinking milk at 3 months, eating peanut butter around 3 or 4 months. I slapt on my tummy. When I was older I rode in the back of pick up trucks and never wore seat belts in the car. It's a wonder I'm still alive! lol.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oh my the car seats they had when I was little! They were shaped wire that hooked over the back of the seat and had a canvas seat for baby to sit in with holes where her legs stuck through. The seat was placed between the parents on the front seat. No padding, no front protector, no seat belts.

Answer by Bmat at 2:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My mom would put winecoolers in mybottle....
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 2:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Pretty much everything but I don't fault her. She was an awesome mom. I just wish I would have told her that before she died. The big things she did...she smoked the entire time I was pregnant (I was born a week late and only weighed 5lbs 13oz and wasn't breathing) and drank. In fact she was drinking with her friends the day she went into labor with me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• my mother smoked while she was pregnant with me.. fed me table food at like 8 mnths, put me on my stomach to sleep, and WOW the things my GRANDMOTHER did!!! You should see the pics of her 'infant carseat'. It's like a box with 4" sides covered in padding with one open side. Lay the baby in it and if they fall off.. pick em up and put em back.. its so funny having conversations about these things with my grandma!! She fed her babies condensed milk! (Its what was recommended and BFing wasn't!) I'll admit I do some things that aren't necessarily considered 'good' like letting my daughter be a belly sleeper and letting her drink milk instead of poisoning her with formula. (not that formula feeding is bad.. I'm talking about the melamine in it)
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My mother smoked with me and my twin brother as well.
    elainecat

Answer by elainecat at 9:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have no clue!
    But I do know as far back as I can remember that we have never used a car seat for any of my younger brothers and we have never used a seatbelt. This was back in the 70's.
    Sadly, if my mother and all the other passengers in the car had worn seatbelts on 9/15/78 then my mom and little brother would still be alive today.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2009