• In the Spotlight:

why do tween girls always have to have the last word, and it usually isn't very nice. Is there a cure for this?

treasure4463

Asked by treasure4463 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• yes there's a cure. They grow up have kids of their own and suffer like they make us suffer. LOL. It's a phase.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yes the cure is no longer being a tween. I have friends with girls this age and it is HORRIBLE sometimes. Raging hormones do that I think. I don't have kiddos that age yet but I am only 28 and remember acting that way toward my mom and the thing that helped me, is knowing that she understood what I was going through and it was normal to feel angry sometimes and normal to say things that were not very nice sometimes. It helped to know I wasn't the only one feeling crazy all the time. Good Luck I know I gave her a run for her money but she is one of my best friends now.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 2:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It is 'normal' and it is unacceptable. You have to make hard and fast boundaries. In my house a hideous attitude, speaking rudely and disrespect is automatic loss of priviledges. I did it with the first group..and I'll do it with these two too. It works. Mostly it is about being consistant.

I will never forget a 14 yr old friend of my son was over one afternoon. I told My son to do something before they left and he just snapped a doozy at me. I looked at him and told him to watch it..he flipped off another wingdinger and that was it., I told his buddy he wasn't going anywhere and that his phone priviledges were suspend until further notice. His buddy just looked at me like.. 'no kidding?' As he walked down the stairs he told My son goodbye and then mumbled..dude you're just being stupid..at least you know your old lady gives a s**t about you"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well, if your her mom, I'd try to put a stop to this behavior, as I recently dumped a 25 year old friend who never outgrew this stage. She gets in trouble at work and into altercations with people because she's always right and cannot leave a situation alone without having the last word-- basically she still acts like a tween girl. I think her parents must have been too lenient or something. Anyway, you don't want your kid staying like this forever, it happens.
    Anonymous

• Its SO normal for girls this age to be mouthy, but rude is another thing. My ten year old starts to get sassy every now and then. I check her quick. I've actually learned that my "lame" attempt at humor works better than just about anything though. If she's having "one of those days" I will stop her mid nasty sentence and suggest she needs to step outside the front door and come back in again. She knows what that means now, I took her to the front door a couple times last spring and made her step outside. Then I'd say "check the attitude at the door, missy" So now, usually, asking if she needs to "step outside" makes her roll her eyes, but straighten up too. Probably the best cure for it is about 8 years, and a house of their own makes a HUGE difference! LOL
    jjandjsmomma

Answer by jjandjsmomma at 7:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I just went through this, Good luck.... Talk to ur doctor, sometimes a medication can work. And somethings you have to walk away from. Pick and choose ur battles. Is it worth fighting about it, is it something that can be fixed or changed?????
    My daughter was horrible, broke my heart. She got mixed up with the wrong boy and of course he lives across the street..Fun fun...Over the summer thats about 2 months here, well cops were called on him 4 times that i know of.. I had to send her to her fathers, just to save her... She called me horrible things, but now a few months later. She is over the boy and she is my best friend..
    Good Luck
    nevins

Answer by nevins at 8:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I was coming to say the cure is MotherHood after reading your post, but I see someone else has already said that for me.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 15, 2009