TV Watching

I feel like there is only so much I can do to entertain 4 month old DD- with toys, tummy time, reading books, eating, and snuggling- all of that doesn't fill up our day. So, I turn on the TV and let her watch Oswald or listen to the classical music or drop in a baby einstein dvd.. but I HATE having her watch it. What are some things you mommies do to keep your lovebugs entertained so you can get things done around the house? Please, no bashing- I just want some ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have a VERY good instinct - congratulations!! Watching TV shuts down every other learning or development except partial visual, and even the visual is pretty useless because there is no depth perception development, no increasing grasp of reality ... and the sound aspect is also unreal because it is artificial sound ... So. Good for you. ... What to do? sing-song nursery rhymes & pat-a-cake games to fill her up with words, gestures and your voice singing ... also you singing generally as you go about your tasks. If her doll is a neutral soft-doll it offers more play possibilities than plastic ... look into appropriate play ... heck, this'll be longer than allowed. Look into books like Children At Play by Heidi Britz-Crecelius, Dr. zurLinden's When A Child Is Born, and conception, Birth and Early Childhood by Dr. Glas. These all have helpful sections ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i let mine watch catoons it kept them busy
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have a few baby Einstein vid's, i basically go from floor time, to vids, to exersaucer, to nap to eat to floor again..some play pen time while I do things back to reading and playing on the floor..it's so much work! But the exersaucer starts at 4 months, good luck.

Anonymous

• if at 4 months also there's good head control, you could try a jolly jumper, they love them!
    Anonymous

• i always(and still do) wear my baby when i need to get things done and he just doesn't want to be put down.
    you could also try a swing or a bouncer.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I am not an advocate for the T.V. babysitter but its not harmful to allow your child to watch it for short periods. My daughter loves her baby Einstien dvds while she eats or has a bottle. she has been watching them since she was about 3 months. Also the jumper thing is good for short periods. I let my DD finger paint in her high chair while I clean the kitchen. Its on tile so no harm done and she has fun while I get work done. I hope this is helpful!
    preggers22

Answer by preggers22 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009