Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Ok so my boyfriend lives in pa with me; he had a child with a girl before me but she got kicked out of the place she was living at and moved to FL with her parents; He has seen his child once and the baby is 8 months old. She filed for child support and everything has been ordered; but he wants to go for half custody; getting her during the summer or something; some kinda agreement going so he can see his daughter; does anyone know how he would go about this? since they live in different states; and is it harder because she is so young? .... just need some advice or websites he could look into.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • he would have to go to the court and get the right papers and fill them out. they would be visitation papers. he will file them and they will advice him at hearing what he can have as his rights. i don't much more then that. i think he has partial custody of the baby anyway. at least in az that is how it works.

    Answer by melody77 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • not sure about websites and such but he should be able to go to your state government office and apply for partial custody of the child. The court will have to decide whether or not he is able to do it financially and they may come in and inspect your home to be sure it is safe for a child of that age. The best advice is for him to talk to the baby's mom and then go to the state government or the court and have the papers written up. Much the same as if he was going to get divorce papers...

    Answer by PhotographyM0m at 3:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • he just started talking to the mother ; she hasnt been the easiest person to talk to ya kno ; but its just messed up cause honestly its one of those "money hungry ; using kid as a paycheck" type situations ; she doesnt work or anything and her parents support her child ; she is 23 and my boyfriend is 27. .....

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • If she is suing for child support, the law states at least in MS that he has to have some sort of custody. She can't make him pay child support for a child he never sees. Tell him to get a lawyer and go through the process.

    Answer by sidzwif at 3:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • Actually, yes they can make him pay child support regardless whether he has seen the child or not. If they can prove that the child is his. Split custody is going to be very hard. The child is still very young. Sorry, but your boyfriend is going to pay child support even if they have split custody which is not likely he will get split.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • i could be wrong but i think he can file for custody where he is and who ever files first the other has to make it to those hearings, so he should file quickly some courts wont approve over night visits until the child is 3, and in most cases where the parents are in different states he will have to pay for dd to get to pa and she will have to pay for dd to get to fl and he should put that in the paper work he files so it shows he is willing to put in his share of the costs, and in some states (fl is one, i live here lol) 50/50 split doesnt always mean no child support (just so he knows) and i would highly suggest him starting to make regular trips to fl to see his daughter the courts will look better on it

    Answer by mommie2twogirls at 4:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.