has anyone seen any TV shows, video games or websites for children that encourage outdoor adventure and teach them how to tune in to their senses to really enjoy nature?

I was wondering if anyone has seen any TV shows, video games or websites for children that encourage them to get outside in Nature to explore and create adventure. Something with an environmental theme that encourages positive energy?

WiiGi

Asked by WiiGi at 3:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, there's no real "theme" to it, per se, but my kids like to watch Corwin's Quest on Animal Planet. It's just about various animals, usually exotic, but my kids love it. Even though they know they'll never find them here, they always want to go outside and "look" for the animals they saw on the show. Check out Animal Planet and Discovery Channel, also there's a Discovery Channel for Kids, too. That's where the most educational shows are likely to be found. TLC is good, too, but I don't think it really has anything with nature or anything.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• if you want your kids to explore the outdoors do it yourself. go hiking with a picnic basket. write down descriptions of animals you see, then look them up together at home later and learn about them. have them bring home interesting plants and do the same. ask questions to encourage them to think. excitment about nature and the outdoors comes from the very source, not t.v
    TARA26

Answer by TARA26 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Mine enjoy a lot of the shows on Discovery and Animal Planet. But I agree with Tara26: there is no substitute for being out in nature. We regularly take ours hiking and camping. Sure they sometimes complain that their legs are tired, but later they talk on and on about all the great things they saw.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 3:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I love noggin- its perfect for kids between the ages 3 and 7 and there are a few shows on there that encourage getting up and moving (lazytown) and then there are little mini shows that show kids getting out to do things like planting a garden or making bird feeders going on winter walks and even more indoor things such as cooking and arts and craft ideas check ur cable company and local listings to find out if u recieve that channel. they also have a website mynoggin.com go there and they give tons of ideas on getting your child up and out
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• http://www.greenhour.org/section/about/naturefind
    http://maps.takeachildoutside.org/
    http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 10:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Thank you for all the answers and each one was very helpful. I am a Mother who has raised her children on outdoor activities, fort building and exploring Nature. I am an art director for film and stage and am committed to bringing something adventurous for children to really motivate and educate them about the environment and living consciously and in harmony. It saddens me to see so many children with hand held games and cell phones, totally tuned out to all the beauty, sounds, smells, and tastes that surround them and are the gifts of being human. This was my intention for the original question. I am eager to learn more from you and thank you again!
    WiiGi

Answer by WiiGi at 11:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2009