Muslim moms: Taking off hijab for work?

I am a revert who has been wearing hijab for 4 years. My husband and I are going through hard times (financially and in our relationships as well) and I have been looking for a job for a while. I am planning on leaving him when I get some money saved up and I am sure I am set up to take care of myself and our child.
Everytime I find a job, and they sound ok over the phone, they sound very intrested. But when it comes to the interview and they see me, they make up some excuse "We are not hiring" when they really are!
I think it is because of the hijab I cannot find a job.
Would it be wrong of me to take it off to work? I have no other way to support myself. I need to be out of this hole I have dug myself in.
I am still Muslim and I will be Muslim for the rest of my life, but I cannot find work without taking off hijab!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a revert and i am PROUD to be hijabi.. i would NEVER take off my Hijab for anything.. JUST make dua3a Allah SWT knows when you are in need and be patient.. maybe Allah SWT has other plans for you ..Allahu Ahlan.. stick it out.. dont compromise your deen for anyone.. i dont believe that you will never find job.. i had trouble too.. btu then i became employed by a moslem.. so there are ways to work and wear hijab BE PATIENT SISTER DONT GIVE UP!!

ask arround the local masjid for job openings opportunities.. Inshallah Ta'alla.. you wil find something but be patient..
    have you also considered assistance/financial aid for the time being.

also he would have to pay child support,

and in Islam support you (pay for your rent, food, etc) until you were married again that is IF he is a good moslem..
    fatima_reed23

Answer by fatima_reed23 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You need to find a place that will respect you! Maybe you should talk with a lawyer. Where do you live?

Sorry about this. Some people are so ignorant.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I came across this the other day while doing some research & found it interesting. Maybe it will help you in your decision.

http://www.submission.org/dress4.htm

Scroll down about halfway to where it says "THREE RULES FOR WOMEN DRESS CODE IN ISLAM (SUBMISSION)"

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Perhaps try going to an employment agency where they would "pre-screen" potential jobs for you?

I am not Muslim but I am a WOHM. Good luck!!

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• What is WOHM
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• In asking whether to take off hijab, you may want to turn to your spiritual leaders for guidance. If this is an issue of safety for you or your children, you may have to remove hijab in order to protect them. Because of course, you would need to get a job in order to get away. If it does not create a safety issue I would turn to whomever you look to for religious/spiritual guidance. If my religion asked me to wear an outside sign of my faith, I would probably be unwilling to remove it. This would not be the case if it were an issue of protecting my kids. If I had to protect my kids, I would do whatever it took.

I hope you are able to come up with a good solution.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• WOHM - Work Outside Home Mother

i.e., ME.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• well, i don't know anything about what a muslim really is, or what there beliefs are, but i guess soemtimes you have to do what you have to do. If that means removing is so you can get a job and support your family, if you are okay with removing it, the i would say do it. If you are not akay by doing it, maybe seek the advice of someone as to weather you can mention to them that you think they are being discriminatory and you are going to file a case. You can see if bluffing them will help. But again i don't know anything about muslim beliefs.

Anonymous

• I understand that you are Muslim, I was bought up Muslim, and I just have one thing to say about the Hijab. This practice is not a necessity to be a Muslim. I dont see a point in wearing one unless your back in the Middle East etc. I think it attracts more attention then to not...Which is the meaning of wearing one(to not attract attention to your beauty etc) if you feel that you cannot find a job by wearing a hijab then remove it and find a job. Im pretty sure that God will not condemn you for this. He knows your heart and would not want you to hurt over anything. God is good. You should consider not wearing a hijab as it is unecessary in America to wear one. This is my opinion,
    Anonymous

• Continued:
    In the Quran it says to dress modestly, not to cover up head to toe..this was a act adopted by the men of the Middle East to control women and to keep them down, the REAL Quran never said to repress the women, and I hardly think that the hijab is liberation for women. Do as you wish, again this is my opinion. I am answering anon because I dont want the other Muslim women to jump on me for my opinion and basically facts...so I you understand. Islam has not prescribed a particular dress style, giving us ample room to accommodate our needs, circumstances and tastes. However, these principles are for everyone and forever. Any garment that accommodates these principles will be Islamic dress-dress modestly.
    Anonymous