I have a question please no taking the wrong way

I was wondering why people talk about illegal immigrants? I mean I know its the wrong way of coming here. But let me explain my fiance came illegally but is the best man in the world and the best dad. We are going to get his papers very soon. I just dont understand why you think they are all bad. They have families too. What would you do if your family was starving and only job you can get was in Mexico and you couldnt get into mexico and you had no choice but to cross illegally? But I dont belive that all of them are bad. It makes me mad that people look bad on them but hey they are human beings too. And if you look on a globe or map you can see mexico is part of north america. So I dont see why you think its a bad thing. Please Im not trying to start a debate Im just curious......

momof5kidz

Asked by momof5kidz at 3:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We like to scapegoat illegals and blame them for society's ills. HIstorically, we have always done this. We've done it to the Italians, Irish, Chinese, Japanese, and now Mexican. It is true that many of our economic policies, (WTO policies) have contributed to the downfall of the Mexican economy, thus driving them into our country to look for work. Ask any immigrant if they'd have rather stayed in their home country and they'll say yes in a heartbeat. THey are only here out of desperation. It is a sad myth that they are 'stealing' away 'our' jobs, unless these precious jobs consist of picking cotton and grapes.
    Anonymous

• If the economy were not so bad, if the health care system were not so bad, if housing were not such an issue for the people of society who are legal and taxpaying it would not be that much of an issue. Because so many legal American citizens are having a terrible time, illegals are now a major part of political and hot topics, the cost of illegals is something the US can no longer absorb. We are now willing to pick our own lettuce.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• There is the saying...one bad apple spoils the bunch...there's your answer. Many of them are good people but illegal is illegal. But I do see your point, it's sad that they are all looked at as horrible people.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 3:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I look down on ANYONE who does things ILLEGALLY! Why does YOUR fiancee get to go to the "front of the line" and others who follow the letter of the law have to wait? Are their families any less important that yours? Why does everyone feel they have a RIGHT to be in this country? Canada is ALSO part of North America, and the same rules apply to them as well!

Someone who CHOOSES to do things illegally, is likely to be dishonest in other facets of their life. Honorable people are law-abiding people.

This argument has been done to death.
    Anonymous

• Akin, will you marry me? *LMBO*
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I don't think the problem is that people think they are all bad. The problem is that they come here and drain our resources when there are American people who may need it more. They get treated in our hospitals, sometimes have better access to community services (like Head Start where their kids get bumped to the front of the line while American children must wait longer to be accepted into the program) and work the summer jobs for menial pay, thus driving down opportunities for American people because we cannot live in this country making the kind of money that may be acceptable to a Mexican family.

I think it is more "fear turned to bitterness" than all Americans thinking Mexican people are "bad". We are all trying to take care of our families. When foreign people threaten that, we want them out. It's understandable from that perspective.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• akin- great answer! At this point, I grow my own lettuce! LOL.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Man guys, thanks, yes, I will marry you!
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i agree with you. i don't see them as all bad and i get upset that people think they are the root of our governments is in trouble cause of them. they do the work that some of us won't do. they work for peanuts and with them sent back the companies that rely on them will suffer. there are legals here who deals drugs it's not just hispanics. some don't know or have fear of trying to get legal. so they cross illegally. we had to do this with my dad. is was illegal for yrs and so it sucked having to live without him and the rest of us were US citizens. i think they are just narrow minded or not informed of what real issues are with the illegals and how the system is failing everybody.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I don't necessarily think that people see all illegal immigrants as bad people. I think that people see illegal immigration as a huge problem. They are a huge economic drain.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009