Can anyone help with a temper tantrum problem?

My daughter is 10 months old and has suddenly started slapping my hand, spitting food and screaming when I try to give her stage three baby foods. I dont know if this is normal behavoir or not. How do I handle it and still let her know that behavior is unacceptable?

preggers22

Asked by preggers22 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she not like the stage 3 foods? Maybe it is too much texture for her if this isn't the case when she starts unacceptable behavior, take the food away clean her up (without talking to her) and put her down. She will not starve but will realize that she does not get anything by being like that. Perhaps you might want to put her back on stage 2 for awhile, she just may not be able to tell you she doesn't like it. Good luck.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My daughter was like that when I first started giving her the stage 3 foods. I think she just wasn't used to the chunks being in her food. It took her a while to get used to it, but she did eventually, with the more big girl foods she ate. Good luck =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Talk to her sternly and let her know she's not in control. They understand very well. She's just manipulating you.
    Princess1217

Answer by Princess1217 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• maybe she doesn't like the food you are giving her?
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'd switch the food. Stage three is kind of hard to eat. There is mush, and then texture. You might want to go on to the Gerber Graduates. Maybe she also doesn't want you to feed her anymore. Does she do well with finger foods? Are you using stage 3 because stage 2 is too small? There are a lot of factors, and I think it mostly is a problem with those stage 3. There are plenty of things you can feed her, healthy, and get away from that baby food stage 3. Good luck
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 4:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would try different foods like others have suggested. If she is not doing this about other foods, I would try to avoid the confrontation. If she wants to feed herself, you might want to try foods she can eat by herself. If she continues to throw tantrums at other times I would follow candygirl's suggestion. Walk away from the tantrum. They don't throw them without an audience. (barring extreme circumstances)
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2009