how do you save money on groceries?

I have always shopped at the same store and just watched for good prices. We like to buy organic and natural when we it is available. I would like to start saving money on groceries but I am not sure how. Should I look at prices at several stores? If so, how do you do that? Do you use a lot of coupons?

Basically, how do you save money on groceries?

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Every Wednesday around here the new advertisements come out for the grocery stores. There are four major chains pretty close to me. I sit down and look through the ads to decide who has the best deals based on what I know I need. Then I plan dinners around things that are on sale at that store. I make a dinner plan for the week, and a shopping list. Sticking to a list *really* helps cut down on impulse buys. I stock up on things when they are crazy cheap - for instance - when they have sales like 5 for $10 on large boxes of cereal. Cereal is good for a LONG time unopened. It's also a great cheap snack or meal. Also look at what you're buying - canned soda, canned juices.. they really ad up the cost on your grocery bill. Brewing tea, or making something like Countrytime lemon aid for some drink variety is *way* cheaper.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I use coupons and a store card. I also buy organics and it's so hard to save on organics. I do sometimes find coupons for organics. Also, buy fresh fruit and veggies, that saves money. Don't buy pre-made food in boxes, that gets expensive.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I go to Aldi, I spend half of what I spend when I go to the regular grocery store even with coupons. When I started going there I cut my bill in half. There may be one near you or a store similar. Save A lot is pretty much the same. I've gone there too.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Definitely use the store card, wait for great sales and stock up on the things you can. Hold your coupons until the stuff goes on sale then use it. Read the weekly circular before you go and have a plan. Organics are more expensive, but you can save on other things to make up for it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Find a butcher, and buy meat in bulk, then break it down. I wrap it in saran wrap, then put it in freezer bags (I use a drinking straw to suck out as much air as possible - weird, but it works!)
    See if there is a flea market near you that has a vegetable/fruit stand.
    Pick up everything else at Aldi's or Save A Lot.
    Cook from scratch.
    Dollar general is good for cleaning stuff, trash bags, paper goods, etc.
    We have a family of six, and by following this system we eat extraordinarly well. I work full time but on my day off I love to bake, so I make our own bread and double batches of cookies, granola, etc. We spend on average 80-100 a week for all six of us, including baby formula (we buy Walgreen store brand, 14 bucks for the large can of powder).
    As for organic, we're putting the garden back in this year, and we have our own fruit trees and grape arbor.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Coupons are a great way to save. Also buy what is on sale and stock up on it. Get some freezer bags and seperate the bulk meat into portions needed and store them in the freezer.
    momagarry

Answer by momagarry at 7:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I could go a month without ever grocery shopping because my cupboards are so full and I usually spend less than $50/wk on groceries. I obviously have to buy the perishables like bread, milk, eggs, cheese as I need it, but EVERYTHING else I buy when it is on sale and I just stock up on it. I've got cereal coming out of my ears that I bought at $1.66/box, all of my meat has been bought when it was on sale and frozen, I just pull it out when I need it...all of my veggies I buy when they're 4/$1 It really evens out. Yes, I'm still buying something every week, but when you're getting the things you use on a daily basis for half price or less, it is SOOOO worth it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I plan our months meals, then buy bulk once a month all my meats, starches and frozen vegetables. Then every other week I buy bread, milk and any other smaller purchases at WINCO. I spend around 400 dollars in a month on food for our family of six and make all our meals, so no eating out.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• This really helps! Thanks so much! I think my main problem was that I have been planning meals weekly and buying what I need for that week at the begining of that week. I am really going to try the frozen meat thing. We don't eat meat everyday but organic meat can be expensive. This will really help.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• smartsource.com has coupons and also tells you when your local stores are having sales
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 12:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2009