Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Father's please

So my best friend just told me that she is going to be an auntie by blood (her brother's girlfriend got pregnant). And then the girlfriend says that she is going to move away with her grandparents for the "benefit of the baby". The father of the baby (friends brother) wants to be a dad and be there for his baby and watch it grow up. Is there anything he can do?


Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • He should see a lawyer now because it will show before his baby is even born that he wants to be a responsible Dad. He does have rights don't let anyone tell you different.

    Answer by candygirl1030 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • He should contact an attorney ASAP. Also he should put it in writing that he wants to be involved with his child. Keep a copy for him self and give her a copy of it in front of a witness. That way he can say that he expressed to her that he wanted to be involved, so she can't say he said otherwise. The witness can state that yes, she/he saw him deliver the written statement to the mother.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • If there's no orders then she can move. He should contact an attorney. More than likely they will approve her move.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • They may not approve her move..she has to show how the move will benefit herself and the child..still your brother has rights....act on them..I would see an attorney now....don't sit on it..

    Answer by Dannee at 3:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • I am going through a relocation now and the issue came up if he could fight it. Granted, I'm moving 30 miles away. Anyway, my attorney said that there has to be temporary or permanent orders, parenting plan/residential schedule, in order for him to be able to fight it. That means, if she wants to move while she's pregnant then there' s not much he can do. He would need to contact an attorney now so that they can better help him. Unfortunately for him since they're not married he can't petition anything without an attorney until he is on the birth certificate or until the acknowledgment of paternity is signed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • Yup...Anon is right. Until the baby is born, and he signs an AOP he has no rights. She is free to move if she choses. The baby will be concidered a resident of the state s/he is born in and Dad will have to 1. Travel there for custody issues or 2. Get permission from the courts to appear telephonically.

    Answer by desert_diva at 3:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • get a lawyer asap and file for sometpe of custody before the baby is born if he canin the state your in it varies from state to state, if he is going to file for full custody he needs to have a "family" plan set up like if "auntie" can babysit while hes at work or what daycare baby will go to and what family the baby will have regular contact with and any family that is willing to help him with baby needs to go to court with him, if he can take character witnesses on his behalf he should, in court he should not bad mouth the mom unless its something serious like a drug problem or something like that tell him i said best of luck

    Answer by mommie2twogirls at 4:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • he's gotta go to court and explain his situation. he's gotta let them know that the baby isnt born yet. im not sure but i think there isnt anything that he can do till the baby is born but he should go to court and get a headstart on fighting for custody or visitations. my cousin went to court and got half custody of his son and has it so that the mom cant take the baby out of the county without his permission!

    Answer by GabrielsMommy16 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • Thanks for all the input ladies. I will be sure to relay the message to my friend. --OP

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009