I just found out on Sunday that I was pregnant, but I have no maternity insurance so I've been looking for options. When should I go to the doctor? I should only be in my 4th or 5th week.

sarah61742

Asked by sarah61742 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had no idea that health insurance did not cover maternity- I thought that was a requirement. Do you qualify for medicaid? You may be able to get it just for the pregnancy.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My doctor made first appointments around 8 to 10 weeks. I know some people that waited until around 14 weeks. I wouldn't go much longer than that though.
    Anonymous

• My doctor says the average is 8-12 weeks. I would apply for medicaid. The guidelines are actually quite high for pregnancy.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• There is a good chance that your state medicaid will cover your pregnancy. You should go to the dr, but maybe should call around to find out if you qualify for ins first. Are you certain that your health insurance doesn't cover maternity? There may be a clause, or addendum. Call your HR to confirm. In FL most women w/o ins will be covered during pregnancy. Good luck
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 3:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You are still early so prenatal care isn't of too much importance. Work on your insurance issue, take prenantals, and be healthy and it wont matter if you don't make it to the doctor the entire first trimester, etc. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Apply for pregnant woman medicaid. I've yet to see any woman be turned down for it, lol. You just have to be pregnant.

Start now with it though, sometimes it's takes them awhile to get things together. But it will cover everything from doctors visits and ultrasounds to your labor and delivery.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 4:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• you should see a dr. within the first 2 months. and your dr. will ask if you are on prenatals. you should start those right now! they help the baby out alot. and medicaid is a great idea if your state offers it. there are a few that actually dont offer it! like Arizona... but Arizona offers something else that is exactly like preggy medicaid. and for medicaid you do have one more requirement to meet, the amount of money your household gets to the number of people (you count as two due to the baby). in Virginia if you are over that amount then there is another insurance you can get through the state that is very cheap.

HTH!

Always
    ~Syl~
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009