ok so, my 6 year old has recently been going to the nurses office quite frequently, for any reason he can come up with. is anyone else having the same problem with their child?

lovelace25

Asked by lovelace25 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe try at home having him draw alot to draw what's going on in him? See if you can get someone at school to observe him at lunch, in gym, lockerrooms and stuff. That sentence of his is scary. Do a lot of listening to him while he's around you with out him knowing it. If you take or your partner take sleeping pills or have used those words describing yourselves in describing yourselves as being exhausted that might be how he knew about them. I don't think most 6yo would converse about sleeping pills w/o somewhere in the extended family or friends or family adults using them. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• my dd goes too much. She will fall on the playground and run to the nurse. I tell her that unless she is bleeding or something is broken to stay OUT of that office. I think the schools baby the kids too much. We didn't even HAVE a school nurse when I was a kid.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• when i was a kid our school nurse would give crackers and milk to kids who came into the office complaining of a stomache when it was really obvious their stomachs were not sick. she just knew the kid was extra hungry for lunch maybe didn't eat enough. Maybe dd isn't eating enough for breakf? Also could she feel she is being bullied, afraid of being in a class? Does she always go during one specific subject? Hope she feels better
    Anonymous

• It depends on what is going on in the home. Is your son overly dramatic, or been thru something big lately? I have a daughter that is just dramatic, and boy, I have to almost ignore her sometimes. Then, I have a son that has a high endurance for pain. If there is nothing that would alert you to pay more attention to your son, then I would tell him to stay away unless he is bleeding, very hot, or going to vomit. Explain that the nurse is for the WHOLE school and is meant for those in need. If you know that there is an emotional thing going on with him, it may be time to see a play therapist or behavioral specialist to help him express himself better. Only you know if there is a reason underlying, and have the facts to deal with this.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 3:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• well today he went to the nurse and told her he didn't feel like himself, he felt "upside down". I asked him who told him to say that. lol then I asked him to explain.. but he couldn't, he just kept saying he felt different. the nurse called me at home and asked if I had given some medication or something, I told her no. He said I had given him sleeping pills, witch I hadn't.. I don't understand what could be causing him to say these things.. it's unlike him.
    lovelace25

Answer by lovelace25 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i have no reason to believe there is anything emotionally wrong with him, he is a normal little boy, nothing new has happened at home.. same ol thing. he said noone is bullying him, maybe he is just bored???
    lovelace25

Answer by lovelace25 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• well when he was 3 he had to take them for awhile, the dr perscribed some because he would wake up and wander through the house, we were afraid he would go outside or something... so that's where he heard of that from, thanks for the drawing idea though, I will deffinately try that.
    lovelace25

Answer by lovelace25 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009