how to potty train?

My daughter is freaked out to sit on the big potty and her little princess potty, how do I start?

Hecksash

Asked by Hecksash at 9:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We used the 'Once Upon a Potty' its a book, a doll, a movie, and a potty. Worked for us. That and bribing with candy
    sarahq635

Answer by sarahq635 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Dont push it. I would deffinately let it be on her own time. How old is she? I know that for my boys I didn't make it a huge deal I just put the little potty in the living room where they spent the most time and let the be comfortable with it. I added a bit of insentive to my first child's use of it. I made it into a kind of contest(he was 3 1/2). I told him that if he could pee in it 3 times in a row he would get a prize. That worked well. My youngest just wanted to do everything like big brother, it was a lot easier.
    momof2boys707

Answer by momof2boys707 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Has she seen you sit on the toilet? I kept my sons potty in the bathroom. He would sit on it while I was on the toilet. He didn't always have to pee, but he did sit on it. Don't expect success right away. Try putting it in different rooms, even her bedroom. His potty has been in his bedroom and even his playroom. just give her time to get accustomed to it first. If she's not sitting on it yet, put her dolls on the potty and pretend that they are using the potty. Let her join in on the pretending.
    She will get on that potty eventually. Don't worry. My son is three years old and just now potty trained. We started potty training him at 18 months. Don't expect success too soon. Try not to get frustrated with her, as she will sense this and have even more anxiety about potty training.
    callico

Answer by callico at 11:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2008