Do you support the money we spend on NASA?

Do you think the US Govt should be spending money on NASA or direct it to other concerns? What do you think we should be spending money on instead?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 3:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.nasa.gov/news/budget/index.html

WOW

That's a lot of money.

And seriously - we haven't been back to the moon (soundset) and they dropped a toolbox from the shuttle (yikes) and wow.

I am staggered by the sums - of course, my mind is tiny.

Just saying.

WOW.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Not to sound un- patriotic... but I think its a waste. What is the point of space exploration anyway?
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 3:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• From their budget overview....

NASA is making steady progress in the assembly of the International Space Station in accordance with our commitments to our fifteen international partners. Completing the Space Station, retiring the Space Shuttle in 2010 and managing the transition from the Space Shuttle to the Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle and Ares launch vehicles are, collectively, the greatest management challenges facing NASA since Apollo.

Why does it all cost so much???? Billions?

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Def think there are many other areas we could use that money...education for one
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Honestly, the space program is one issue that for the most part, I have always seen as a waste of our money and see no real value in most of it. I'm sure it does some good, but we dont need to send people into space and spend all thatmoney to explore other planets, etc. It has no bearing on our life here. How many people could be fed with 1% of that money spent?
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 3:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If we lose the space race - and getting to the moon was but a tiny step - then we need to teach our children Chinese and Russian. One of those countries is going to win the race and will control space. And that country will control the planet. This is simple economics. There is a limited amount of resources on this planet. There are HUGE resources in our solar system. Mining the asteroid belt is just one example.
    Is it a lot of money? Yes. Sixty years ago, how many kids went into the sciences BECAUSE of the dreams of the space program? How many of today's kids don't care about school because they KNOW they will be rock stars when they grow up?
    We have lost the technological and psycological edge. Other countries now make the high-tech products that older generations of Americans dreamed up. Without something for our kids to reach for, without some sort of national dream, we are lost.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I think at this point, we should be spending that money on new energy sources and infastructure. I do support spending on NASA, but not to that extreme.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I support NASA 100%. I think all sciences should be equally respected.

Answer by gemgem at 4:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It's a sad day when we do stop supporting science, and NASA is a science program out there to discover, explore, and expand our knowledge of not only our world and universe, but hopefully further and beyond. We do not know yet if some cure for a disease on our planet can be found on one of Jupiter's moons... or someplace hidden within Mars. I have a daughter that has always loved space and dreamt of being an astronaut since she was five and memorized the planets in order... I hope to see her dream come true, and support it completely.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I do support NASA and I support President Obama's ideas of combining NASA with the Defense Dept. to share technology and save money.
    KC33

Answer by KC33 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2009