ok so, my 6 year old has recently been going to the nurses office quite frequently, for any reason he can come up with. is anyone else having the same problem with their child?

lovelace25

Asked by lovelace25 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I allready had this topic opened, but accidentally closed it.. so oops..
    lovelace25

Answer by lovelace25 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My stepson used to do this. He was looking for attention and/or trying to get out of whatever they were doing in class. Since the teacher can't make the call if they are sick or not they have to send them EVERYTIME a kid asks o go. We alerted the counselor at his school to the fact he was not sick or hurt and doing this. She started to give him a small prize at the end of the day if he did not fake something to go to the nurse. After a week or two she just started giving him a "good job, I am proud of you for staying in class" After a few weeks of that she stopped the extra attention and he has not done it since.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I taught kindergarten and I had a little girl that would try to go to the nurses office everyday, sometimes more than once. It was such a problem and she was adimant that her stomach hurt so we recommended that the mother take her to the dr. just to verify that everything was ok. So, it is very common. They want the attention, they want to go home, or they just want to lie down in the office. At our school the nurse was great at getting them in and out quick if they weren't really sick. Usually when they realize that everyone (parents, nurse, and teacher) are on the same page and they are not gonna be able to go down there or be able to go home they will stop.
    Anonymous

• My daughter did this @ that age too. I took her to the doctor and the doctor not to pick her up from school. One day the nurse called me and said that she was sick again and I told her that the doctor said there is nothing wrong w/ her and to send her back to class. So she did and we haven't had a problem since. She's 12 now. At the time i just went back to work and she was missing me, so maybe he is needing attention in some way.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 7:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i did this as a child. I remember my teacher never believed that I felty sick but I REALY REALLY did and it used to make me feel really terrible that no body believed me and one time my teacher refused to send me to the nurses office but at recess my friends convinced me to go anyways - the techer came and got me and FREAKED out on me - oh and if any teacher ever treated MY SON like that they would soooooooo not be teaching my son again - anyways (yes I hve a great and detailed memory so please know I am NOT making this up - I could even tell you what I was wearing that day and what we were doing in class...)
    Rubia653

Answer by Rubia653 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Sorry it is limiting what I can write so this is gonna be continued here ....
    ANYWAYS The point is that when I went to kindergarten my mother was a SAHM and I had never gone to anykind of preschool or day care and I was being abused at home which led to severe anxiety and panic attacks - which I now recognize after experiencing them through my teen years and having been diagnosed with anxiety and social anxiety disorder. I was probably going through something less common then some kids who may just be seeking attention - however I think it is necessary to understand something psychological could be going on that they do NOT have the ability to explain and they should be taken seriously
    Rubia653

Answer by Rubia653 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Sorry - last one I promise - I have a lot to say but I think it is important...
    - getting angry at them could make things worse. 6 to 8 year olds are developig eating disorders and cutting and everything else now days - I remember thinking of suicide at that age but it was a different kind of thoght process then what you have as an older chid/adult. Please watch these kids close - there could be an underlying cause that could become deadly (even if it takes a few years) if not treated.
    Rubia653

Answer by Rubia653 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My step daughter has done this for the past 2 wks. First it was her tooth (which was true and we had it pulled) So i went up to the school and gave her asprin but made her stay in school. Then it was where her tooth was pulled i went up to the school and gave her asprin but told her that if it really hurts bad that we have to go back to the dentist to make sure the spot they pulled it from it ok. Now she has a cough so I told her unless she is dying shes going to school (shes has 3 tests this week) So i give her cough medicine before school and tell her its a 6 hour medicine so i cant give her more till after school and unless its to bad to not go to the nurse.
    She was used to getting asprin and medicine everyday from her real mother just so she would shut up so im trying to explain and teach her medicine is not always good and you cant just take it when you feel like it.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 2:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2009