Is TV bad for my baby?

I let my 3 month old watch noggin/nick jr etc. for about an hr or 2 a day and he seems to really enjoy it...is it bad to let him watch tv at this age?

JulesMommy1008

Asked by JulesMommy1008 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hurray.....here come the bashers....

At three months the only thing he really wants to see is your face. But a little TV isn't going to hurt him, especially if you snuggle up with him and intereact as well.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• At that age babies are more apt to listen to the sounds and the blur of pictures - i don't think they can really comprehend the story line, I don't think that will hurt them for a good long while. If baby's on the floor too alot or in playpen and a toy arch above them and music on for baby to wiggle around to that'd be good too.
    Anonymous

• The problem with watching TV at this age is that it trains their brain to expect life to be like it is on TV: quick changes from one thing to another, so when they're older they could have difficulties focusing on one task at a time or for extended periods of time. It also doesn't teach him anything at this age. He can't learn how to grab an object by watching it done on TV, or stack rings, or explore the world around him or his abilities. Importantly, he's not interacting with you (or any other person). Once they get to preschool age, some TV shows like Mr. Rogers have been shown to help stimulate imaginative play in children. At 3 mos, it is more likely that you just have a baby who's content to sit by himself for an hr or 2 at a time rather than that he enjoys TV, because he can't really process it.
    (Sorry---married to a neuroscientist, so brain development is a touchy subject for me. Hope this was toned down enough!)
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• some studies do suggest that watching television that early can delay language development.
    i guess it just depends on what you believe.
    personally, i don't allow tv until the age of 2. again, that's just me and my choice.

some links: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1650352,00.html?cnn=yes
    http://www.whitedot.org/issue/iss_story.asp?slug=ADHD%20Toddlers (this second one is a bit biased but it discusses the AAP study so i'm linking to it.)
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/baby-tv.htm
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• TV in limited quantities is fine for anyone. Even adults can watch too much (guilty)

The problem with TV is when all they will do is watch it...they won't go play, they won't go outdoors, they just sit and stare at the TV....not likely to happen at 3 months.

Ours is on all the time for background noise more than anything. The kids are always playing, and will occasionally stop and watch the majority of one show.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i let my ten month old son watch cartoons too. i think that at this age they're too young to be able to tell that tv is imitating life, so they wont make connections like that yet. right now it seems to be that hes interested in the songs and colors and i think thats fine.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• mine watch the same stuff and have since birth, the eldest is 3 and shes not delayed at all anywhere, and 6 month old well she just doesnt care right now, would rather pull on the dog.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 4:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• if its only for an our its fine. if he can sit quietly and let u get some housework done thats awesome i wish my 3 week old would let me do something for more than 3 minutes lol just kidding! my family watches tv in the evening and i think its fine as long as its not all day or taking the place of affection!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'm guilty too. But I don't necessarily let him watch it on purpose...at least not all the time. His exer-saucer thing is in the living room and so when the TV is on, he turns and watches it. It only keeps his attention for a couple minutes but he does sit and stare at it lol. I'm hoping it won't turn into a bad habit but I've always refused to be the kind of mom that just lets their kids sit in front of the TV all day. He WILL be involved in other activities.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009