not sleeping thru the night

My almost 10 month old isn't sleeping thru the night yet. He still gets up at least once, usually twice a night to nurse. He will nurse and go right back to bed, before long we will be weaning and I don't know what I will do for him in the middle of the night then. So I was curious if any of you have been through this or if any of you have any suggestions for getting him to sleep thru the night and not need to nurse. Thanks

Srkimmel

Asked by Srkimmel at 4:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try cluster feeding right befor bed. and sometimes when they wake up in the middle of the night its not because they're hungry, its just because they want to know that you will come when they cry. try to see what happens if you dont get up right away. or have you tried getting up and going to him but not feeding him right away? good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Most babies do not sleep through the night. Most babies wake up to nurse at least once.
    This is perfectly normal. He will sleep through when he is ready to do so.
    And you'll know when he's ready to start weaning because he will cut down on feedings himself- he won't take the night feeds any more, and he'll cut out feeds during the day..
    He will be a toddler soon and toddlers are picky eaters- he'll need that extra nutrition from the breast. He may eat like a champ one week, but the next week he may have no interest in food (I'm not talking at 12 months here, I'm speaking of 18 month olds!) so it is important to continue the nursing relationship until at least 2 years.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'm having the same problem with my son.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Try laying him back down on his back and rub his belly. Talk to him quietly but make it short. Don't spend too much time with him and don't stimulate him too much. Then leave the room, it's ok to let him cry for 5-10 min. Continue that routine until he falls asleep. If he falls asleep only to nursing you need to change that habit because that is his last memory before he fell asleep so everytime he wakes up he needs to nurse in order to fall back asleep. Gl
    Anonymous

• I have the same problem with my daughter but she doesnt wake up just for nurse.She doesnt sleep til 6:30am- 7:00am.She is smiling, playing with her toys and just dont want to sleep.She is 5 months and a half and the moment.And during the day she wants to sleep.I dont know what to do.My mum had the same problem with my brother.

diamond83

Answer by diamond83 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2009