• In the Spotlight:

Which is better

is it better to just let your aggrivation out if you're kids are being naughty or to go somewhere and cool down...do you usually always punish a bad or dumb deed your kids do, or do you ignore some or a lot of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's better to walk away at least for me. I can't calm down because the action or temper tantrum that my son is throwing just continues to aggravate me more and I need to step out of the situation before I over react.

I can also say unfortunately I'm one of those parents that picks and chooses what to punish and what not to punish. Some things are so trivial I feel a simple no do not do that is ok that I don't need to go full blown punishment on certain things. But it does pertain to how bad of an action it was.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 4:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• and this is speaking of kids who are like 5 and up...kids that tend to know better you know..?
    Anonymous

• My kids get away with a lot at home. In public they don't get away with anything. They know this and they behave outside the house and when we have company. They all know mom will be quick to correct them and won't care if it embarrases them or not. For example my oldest was 5 and we were shopping. She wanted a teddy bear and I said no. She tells me I have until she counts to 3 to let her have it. I told her she had until I count to 3 to get her little bottom out to the car before I spank it. She was embarrased and mommy got plenty of dirty looks. But my daughter will not speak to any adult that way anymore. So I guess my answer is in public I will quickly respond to the behavior. At home I tend to let them be kids.
    Anonymous

• I will punish within reason. If I feel I am losing my cool, I will go in my room and unwind or send him to his. I have a tendency to let everything build up. So the things he did in the morning are still in the back of my mind in the afternoon when he acts up again. I have to really focus on just what it is now that he has done that has me upset, not let everything from the entire day come into it. When I start getting there, I remove myself from the situation.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I try to understand that they are just kids...

I used to lose it allot when I would get home and see that chores were not done. But then I took a step back and realize that if I lose it...that only makes things worse. I do my best to keep calm. With a 13 year old girl and a 4 (almost 5) year old boy...it can be a real test of patience.

I think it is important to let your kids know when they are out of line, however its best done when you are calm. They need to learn, and you have to teach. Also use judgement...when they do goofy things like forgetting to turn off the light, or putting the dishes away...simply remind them, then let it go. Like I said, they're kids!
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• ITS BETTER TO BE CONSINSTANT IF YOU ARE GOING TO SPANK THEM FOR IT ONE TIME THEN YOU NEED TO DO IT ALL THE TIME SAME GOES FOR TIME OUT AND SO ON THEY LEARN MORE
    lovingmomof7

Answer by lovingmomof7 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If they've done something that pushes me over the edge then I'll tell them in the calmest voice I can manage at that moment that they need to sit on the step, go to their room/bed until I'm ready to deal with them. The one's that cause/receive this reaction are 3 and 4. I'm not perfect though and don't always take a moment before they are disiplined.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It depends. Is it dangerous or something they could grow up to think is ok? I punish for the biggies, lying, fighting, cheating at school, etc. I don't punish for 'dumb' actions. 'Let the punishment fit the crime'
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2009