Do your children "help" in a way that actually hinders?

SS is big on doing dishes and putting dishes in the sink. However, he just throws dishes in the sink and ends up getting spoons and other flatware (especially the baby ones) lost into the drains. It causes blockages and then I have to take apart the pipe. I love him doing the dishes, and am glad he takes the responsibility, but I have fixing the sink! LOL

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yep! Mine try and help and make a mess and they are TEENS LOL. For instance they take out the trash and always end up dropping trash on the floor or ripping the bag. My dd used to do dishes and when she was done she would just throw the silverware in the drawer in the wrong spots. When they vacuum they always vacuum over things they shouldnt no matter how many times I tell them to look and pick up toys and big things first. When they sweep they leave half of it on the ground bc they havent mastered using a dust pan. Most of the time I just tell them thanks and have to go back over it.

Answer by gemgem at 4:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son loves to help with everything the dishes, the cooking, the sweeping etc. Often times I have to do double the work to get it done right, but I love how he wants to help. I just remind myself that soon enough he'll be big enough to do it on his own and do it the right way. I don't want to tell him no now for fear that he won't want to do it when he gets older. Maybe you can put something in the sink drain that will catch the spoons etc from going down there.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 4:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yes, My two year old always has to help me vacuum. She holds the handle and walks beside me. It makes it take so much longer but she is so happy because she thinks that she is helping I can't tell her no!
    Katieasmom

Answer by Katieasmom at 4:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My kids are always trying to help me sweep and they just scatter the dirt and dog hair, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My kids like to help, they are 3 and 4. The only issue with them is that it may take longer. But I'm hopeful that one day they'll be more efficent with it. DS puts his laundry away and has since he was 3. I don't mind the mess in his drawers so long as they make it to the proper drawers! They load the dishwasher when they are done with their dishes, that's fine, sometimes it needs to be rearranged. They like to help load/unload the washer and dryer. DS likes to vacuum and sweep, he does a pretty good job of it too!
    I have a friend who's daughter asked for a swifter wet vac for christmas when she was about 7. lol
    I love when kids help, but sometimes I can do without! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009