my baby wont eat baby food

my 6 moth old will have nothing to do woith baby food just oatmeal and formula i dont know what to do please help

carsonanbradley

Asked by carsonanbradley at 4:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well introduce him to something soft in adult food.

my little one didnt care for baby food all the much either, but i wouldnt let your baby eat oatmeal all the time, i saw a episode on a little boy who would eat nothing BUT oatmeal and he ended up in the hospital with problems because oatmeal has no nutrition
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Don't stress. Your baby really does not need anything but breastmilk or formula until their 1st birthday. Just take it slow and he'll eat when he's ready. :)
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 4:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Is he pushing it out or just not taking it? If he is pushing it out it is because he hasn't learned to overcome the thrusting motion used to drink from a bottle. If this is the case, just wait a little while and try again. If he is just refusing to take the food, just keep trying til you find something he likes. He may just be a picky little eater. Good luck momma!
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I don't no about the powered stuff...but breastmilk has all the nutrition a baby needs for the first year of life...you just start solid foods during the second half of the first year so the child can learn the skills. So a breastfed baby doesn't "need" food till age one...don't know about a formula baby other than it has been scientifically proven that formula is significantly nutritionally substandard to breastmilk...so a formula baby might "need" the nutrition from food earlier.

Just keep offering food to your baby.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Formula offers all the nutrition a baby will need. It's not a big deal if the baby won't take baby food (breast or formula fed)

If he's eating oatmeal, you can try mixing the jar stuff with the oatmeal. It may be a consistency thing (I had two who would only take baby food if mixed with cereal)

As mentioned by another poster, you can also start offering some table foods, too.

Formula fed or breast fed, baby food is only for practice. It is not necessary and there is very little caloric or nutritional value to it.

And guess what...it's fine if he doesn't eat any food for a few more months yet....not a big deal.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oatmeal is highly nutritional, just not all of the nutrition a child needs. However, an infant on formula and oatmeal will be just fine, and is getting all they need. If you are worried ask your doctor about a multivitamin.

As for getting them to eat other foods, start the new food by mixing it with the oatmeal. Once you have introduced a few foods this way, try them without oatmeal and see how that goes. I would not worry at this age. By the time they are a few months older, they will love food and eat most of what you offer.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• food isn't necessary for the first year of life.
    babies should get all of their nutrition from breastmilk(or formula.) anything else is just dessert.

more info on solids:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/ready-solids-links.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Don't rush it. One of my 4 kids never liked any of that stuff, either. Remember, eating at this age is for practice, all of the nutrition the baby needs is in the formula or breastmilk. Once I reduced those, they picked up on eating food. The baby food isn't that important right now. Put it away and try again next month. Eventually, the baby will eat. It may just not be baby food. Be patient, it will all work out.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 5:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i would say try maybe #2 or 3 baby foods or adult foods like mac and cheese or mashed potatoes because s/he might need something with more texture. My daughter was the same way and I tried that with her and it worked so that might be what your problem is. Or if not, if s/he has a couple teeth try finger food like the little meat sticks for babys. Try that that and let me know how it works. If it doesn;t work I'm pretty sure I can think of another way to help you.
    Ashleyh0388

Answer by Ashleyh0388 at 8:59 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• www.petitepalate.com
    EEM88

Answer by EEM88 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2009