I know things have changed, but do drs. really prescribe pre-natal vitamins for NOW if you are thinking of having kids in the next year or two?

DD isn't married yet, so therefore not trying for kids, but plans to get married in the next year or two. A gyno she visited wants her to get on pre-natals NOW. They didn't used to give them until you went in to see if you were pregnant. Has this changed? Or is this doc a quack? She also told my DD that a pain she gets often in her left breast is arthritis in the breast. She has been treated in the past for costocondritis (it's a sharp pain that occurs out of the blue). And, she has a weird mole on this same breast that a dermatologist said was ok - she thought it might be cancerous and had it checked out. PLUS, she bled after the exam. I don't ever remember bleeding. Was this woman just too rough? She won't return b/c she didn't like this doc's mannerisms.

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 5:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Health

• I've never heard of that... but don't see how it could hurt. She doesn't need a prescription for them, though --- you can buy them in any vitamin aisle OTC.

The only time's I've ever bled after an exam was when I was pregnant.

Arthritis is a joint disease --- last time I checked, breasts didn't have joints. I'd look into that a little more --- it could be a pinched nerve in her back causing it.

I'm with your daughter --- I'd change doctors, too.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It is normal to take prenatals before you are pregnant - it's just that most people don't visit with their doctor about the possibility of becoming pregnant until after they already are. My doctor said it was best to have all the essentials in your system before you get pregnant because those first few weeks of pregnancy (possibly before you even know you are pregnant) are critical for the baby's development - if you wait until your first OB appointment at 8 weeks or later you will have missed the opportunity to give your baby the best possible start. I think bleeding after an exam is also pretty common (spotting anyway). I don't know about the arthritis in the breast thing (that sounds strange to me), but if your daughter is uncomfortable with or doesn't trust this doctor she should find one she is more in tune with.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You don't need a prescription for prenatal vitamins, though you can still get one if you need to for some reason. The reason that it is important for a woman of childbearing age to take AT LEAST folic acid supplements because women who take 400 micrograms (0.4 milligrams) daily prior to conception and during early pregnancy reduce the risk that their baby will be born with a serious neural tube defect (like spina bifida) by up to 70%. The window during which folic acid is useful in this instance could close before a woman even knows that she's pregnant. I know of some people who take them who have no plans on being pregnant any time soon because they like the beneficial effects on their skin and hair!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Re the breast pain: Costochondritis is a type of arthritic pain. It does not actually occur in the breast, but the condition may feel as though it is coming from the breast. This type of arthritic pain occurs in the middle of the chest where the ribs and the breast bone connect.

The mole could have looked fine when the dermatologist looked at it but changed by the time that the OB saw it. I say better safe than sorry!

If she had a pap test, it is not unusual for her to have some slight bleeding from that.

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yes I have heard of this. When I was trying to concieve my second child I told my Gyno I was going to plan for a pregnancy in 6 months, he prescribed some pre natals and also told me about some very good over the counter pre natals too. It is just about making sure your body is healthy BEFORE you concieve. One big plus my hair was super shiney and my nails got pretty long too!! lol
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You can just buy OTC prenatal pills, and they are a lot cheaper!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2009