why is it so hard for teenagers to help clean the house ,and keep their room clean

allgood715

Asked by allgood715 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Because they lose their minds at 13

Answer by gemgem at 5:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Hmm...speaking as someone who was a teenager just a few short years ago, I'll say that I just plain didn't give a crap. I knew that my mom would eventually clean up everything, she wasn't strict enough with me. Clutter and trash didn't bother me at all.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oh come on mom! I have way too many text messages to send to all of my bffs. Election for homecoming court is this week, and I dont know how I am supposed to win if I cant have that new Prada bag, and two hundred dollar pair of Ed Hardy jeans. If that wasn't bad enough Jenny Smith just wrote a totally rude comment about me in the girl's locker room, and now Brian Jacobs thinks that I pick my nose. OMG Mom you are so not with it!
    he he he
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• ohhh, and can I borrow a twenty for gas?
    2-1CavWife

• Thank goodness I have boys...so far...lol no, I know they are messy too! >.o
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 5:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• me = teenager with a clean house (and a toddler and a dog and a messy sailor and 21 weeks pregnant.) I didn't know all teenagers had a problem being clean. Maybe yours aren't responsible? Maybe you should punish them or take things away. My mamma taught me to clean and I wasn't ALLOWED to have a messy room.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have 3 teens. They are responsible. They come in on time. They tell me where they are going. I know all their friends. They get decent grades etc. But they are still slobs. You can be responsible and a slob. Grounding doesnt always work either because I can ground mine until they do what theyre told then they wait to do it until they want to be ungrounded. I guess you were an agreeable child. Some are. Mine just happen to be typical teens. How do I know? I have other mom friends with the SAME issues.
    Anonymous

• My oldest two tell me now the 'reason' we were slobs was because you were a 'neat-freak' and we just wanted to freak you out. Verbatim..that is was they said. Now my husbands opinion is as follows "as soon as the first pube grows in their brain goes into meltdown and leaks out their ears. The brain isn't restored until somewhere around 22"... LOL that's his take on it. I finally learned to choose my battles. I demanded their stuff not be thrown all over the house. No eating in bedrooms and as long as their disaster wasn't crawling out their door..I just pulled their door closed. When their friends came over it was clear the room was "them'
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Humm....give him a list. Take away the psp and ipod etc...lol it works with mine. He recently did about 10 things in 2 hrs...washed the dishes,
    did laundry, cleaned room, trash out, dug a rose bush, raked the leaves, feed the dogs. I was shocked. He knew he showed me..haha
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 7:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• He didn't talk to me for an hour (mad) but I KNEW he could do it. The speed was all him though.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 7:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009