• In the Spotlight:

Same as before...water

My daughter is 4 months 20 pounds. Doc says shes to fat but shes always hungary. I feed her goodstart orange can and applesauce,peas,squash,sweet potatoes,carrots and she loves them. I just want to know if I can give her juice and water?

LilMamaCrooks

Asked by LilMamaCrooks at 9:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Juice is a waste of calories. I'd say she is too young for juice anyways. Start with giving her a small serving of rice or oatmeal before her bottles and give her small bottles of water in between feedings if you need to. Nothing wrong with a fat baby, my son was (and still is) always off the charts.
    sarahq635

Answer by sarahq635 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I would not give her juice but a litte water everyday wouldnt hurt. She seems young to be eating jar food... is she also on rice and oatmeal cereal? I wouldnt worry too much about her weight right now... she will slim dowm when she becomes more mobile in crawling and even rolling. My daughter was very heavy and always off the charts and now at 7 years old she exactly where she should be. I keep a very close eye on what she eats now because I dont want to create any adult obesity issues though.
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 10:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I answered this question along with my answer to your first post.

The reason for delaying solid foods is probably not what you think. It's not a matter of her appetite or whether she can physically swallow the food. Her tummy is small. Solid foods have a limited amount of nutrients, and her tummy is not capable of actually holding enough food per sitting to meet her nutritional needs. Ounce for ounce milk is much more complex. A jar of solid food CANNOT replace a meal (of formula) for a baby under 9 months. It's totally unecessary.

How many ounces per day does she drink of formula? 4-5 8oz bottles is the highest end of normal.
    momxfour

Answer by momxfour at 12:43 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• we actually had to start our kids on juice earlier than normal babies, they were having trouble pooping, we just diluted it.. my kids are all fine! and water never hurts a baby either, don't give them too much, by any means, just start at like an ounce or two.. thats what I would do..
    Illinoismomof_3

Answer by Illinoismomof_3 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Well, i worked in Peds for 13 yrs. The rule of thumb is this. Usually they start don't food until 4-6 months. Then you start with cereals. Then veggies, meat and fruit. Fruit is usually last because it is sweet so some kids won't eat the other stuff then. Now, this can vary with doctors and is not set in stone. She should definitely eat the cereals first though. It has more substance. They also prefer people to wait on starting for allergy purposes. Water is fine to give her. It is so important she gets her formula though because she needs all her vitamins and nutrients. Food is just a supplement right now.
    butterfly224

Answer by butterfly224 at 8:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2008