is it time for potty training?

my 15 month old son is taking his diaper off all the time. how do i get him to stop? is it time to try and potty train? how do you know when your kid is ready? should i put pull-ups on him?

jenniferwashere

Asked by jenniferwashere at 5:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, i don't think he would be ready to potty train just yet! i think that he's just kinda playing, doing it because he knows it's getting you all energized. pediatrics.about.com/cs/weeklyquestion/a/121201_ask.htm - 25k - is a good website. it tells alot about potty training and when to start! they say you should start at 18months!
    Nikki_dentler

Answer by Nikki_dentler at 6:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• He's taking off his clothes and diaper because toddlers love to get naked. This has nothing to do with potty training.
    Get a good potty training book that lists the readiness signs. The more signs he shows, the faster he will learn. Does that mean you need to wait until he shows all the signs? No. It just means that the less ready he is, the longer you will be training. No matter what age you start, he will finish learning at the same age. So you can start at 15 months and be training for the next 15 months or you can start at 25 months and train for 6 months. These are examples by the way. The point is that he will finish learning when he is ready - regardless of his age when you start.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I started potty training my son at 14 months (more EC style) and by 16 months he was in underwear. But every kid and parent are different. Just do what workes well for your family. If you can get him interested in the potty before he really learns to be defient it makes it easer. Also another thing to keep in mind is the earlier you potty train the more work it is on you and the older they are the less you have to do, (ex. I still have to help my son go potty almost evertime but my sister who potty trained her son at 3 goes to the bathroom all on his own) Either way it is hard work. I was just done washing diapers and I could not see myself filling up the landfills with diapers either. Have fun.
    lilmamakaren

Answer by lilmamakaren at 8:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2009