Is it ok for him not to get a bottle all day?

My 7 1/2 month old won't take a daytime bottle, only at night and mornings. If I try it in the day, he throws a fit. I feel like I don't have a choice but for him not to get a bottle. He'll take solids and that's it. It just doesn't seem right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO it's not okay. Babies #1 source of nutrition should be breastmilk (formula) for the first year. Solids aren't even needed, they are just for practice.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Perhaps you can mix the Formula in with some baby Oatmeal or cereal and feed it to him by hand so he will still be getting it.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• He's been fighting me all day when I give him a bottle. He arches his back and screams bloody murder. I've tried the oatmeal, no luck!
    Anonymous

• He's 7.5 months old! Since when do babies get to controll their lives? Dont' feed him any solids. He WILL get hungry enough and eat. He won't starve.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• A 7 1/2 month old should still be drinking formula so if he doesn't get any then he could get dehydrated really bad. I would speak to his pediatrician to see what you can do. I'm sure he will eat once he gets hungry enough.
    sweetmissy_05

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• maybe try a sippy cup? idk, just keep trying
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• That was my suggestion. Try a sippy cup.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 6:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Its me again. I just tried that, doesn't work. I did that a couple of hours ago. My SO thinks he needs solids and places no importance on his bottles. It makes me mad.
    Anonymous

• Okay...there is no importance on the BOTTLE. If by solids you mean babyfood, he still need the formula....be it in a sippy or in a bottle, that doesn't matter.

If he's on table foods, it's less important he receive that much formula...still needs it until all of his nutrition comes from table foods, though.

What else is he drinking during the day? Replace it with formula. He'll get thirsty..he'll drink. If his "solids" are baby food, cut back and replace more with formula. He'll be hungry and he'll drink.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• as long as he is getting some formula, along with his food, he will be fine. Doesn't mean he is controlling his own life. My son who just turned 10 months always did the same thing, but he had his morning and night bottles... and he is fine!!! He is 20 lbs and almost 30 inches, and perfectly healthy! He just doesn't care for the bottle... maybe instead of the oatmeal you can try the rice cereal?
    Anonymous