has anyones baby had to have open heart surgery?

my son is 8 weeks old and might have to have open heart surgery for his vsd the dr said his is in the bottom of the heart in the pumping chambers. has anyone had ti\o have surgery on there baby for this if so can you tell me what to expect. im scared to death

mom-to-be21

Asked by mom-to-be21 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Health

• My daughter had OHS at a day old then again at 13 days old. I know how scary it can be. But the doctors are so good at what they do. If you want to know more about what to expect you can read my journal titled my daughter is a miracle child mareyas story. I am here for you if you have any questions, want to talk or anything!! Stay strong! Keep me updated!
    brooksktm

Answer by brooksktm at 6:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Hey hun. I actually work at a Children's hospital in the cardiology department. My docs perform procedures daily for things. VSD is the most common heart defect. Feel free to check out our website. I linked you to VSD and on the right it has links to treatment options. Hopefully your kiddos may close on it's own, if not the catheterization procedure is popular here.

http://heart.seattlechildrens.org/conditions_treated/ventricular_septal_defect.asp
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• my son also has congestive heart failure i dont know if this would make the surgery worse or not
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• The congestive heart failure is probably related to the VSD. When the heart isn't pumping properly it makes it hard to pump out to the rest of the body
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009