Should I feed her something else?

I'm so sick of my DD not eating anything but bread and dairy and the occasional fruit. I've tried cutting down on those things and offering her veggies and meats, pastas etc and she just refuses to try them. She's even stopped eating the chicken in the chicken nugget and just nibbles off the breading.

I made chicken alfredo for dinner tonight and made her up a plate just like ours and of course she refused to even taste it. I'll be honest and say I've caved in the past and given her a piece of bread or a banana or something if she didn't eat her dinner but this time I'm just fed up!

Is it wrong to insist she eat what I give her or should I give her something else to eat so she stops telling me she hungry and crying about it. Is one night without dinner really going to hurt her or is this just mommy guilt?

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 6:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dinner goes on the table and that's that. If they eat, they eat. ("they" being my three boys) However, we also have a rule that they have to eat at least one bite per year of each thing on their plate. (4 year old has to eat 4 bites, 3 year old has to eat 3 bites and 2 year old has to eat 2 bites)

I give smaller servings of what they haven't had or things of which I know they're not fond. If they clean their plates, they get dessert (applesauce, pudding, extra piece of fruit).

I had to do it with each one of my boys at one time or another....the next meal they ate very well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• its mommy guilt my son is a picky eater and hes 6 i cant get him to eat much at all like tonight i made hamburger helper and he wouldnt try it i cant get myself to let him go hungry one night i feel to bad lol
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i forgot to say i give him something else he will eat
    wendy232425

• lol thanks, glad to know I'm not alone. I just don't want to get in to that habit any more than I already have. I was just hoping it wouldn't be cruel of me to send her to bed hungry if she refused to eat what was offered.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• your welcome its a phase im waiting for my son to grow out of it hopfully its soon lol hes been this way for acouple years and i am tired of it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• lol you have much more patience than I!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one gowing through this! My son is two and would rather snack than eat. He used to eat great, brussel sprouts, kale, broccoli, now---nothing! I'm tired of it too but I've been told this will pass. Just don't do what I did...I left his supper dish out thinking he may go back to it later. I forgot about it and left it out over night. He was happily eating it THE NEXT MORNING!! I felt really bad.
    momof3boyz777

Answer by momof3boyz777 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• That's a good idea TiccledBlue! I think I might just use that idea. Now if I could just get her to try ONE bite lol.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have exactly the same problem! The fair princess is also known as the cracker baby! She will only eat crackers (pretty much any kind), fruit, and dry cereal for me. Occasionally she'll eat a hot dog (ewwww) or something else we offer her, but pretty much she sticks to her dry carbs and fruit, with milk! I gave up a long time ago, since the boys were both very similar. We give her vitamins to supplement what she doesn't get from food, I guess that's the best we can do.
    HippieFaerie

Answer by HippieFaerie at 7:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oh the ever picky toddlers! What they like one day they dislike the next. My two year old twins are the same way. Right now the only way to get one to eat is to put a bit of hummus on his plate. He calls it dip and loves it! He'll dip whatever I put on his plate in it. He was even dipping his pb&j sandwich in it at lunch!
    Just make what you're going to make for the family. If she eats, great. If she doesn't eat, don't fret. She won't starve. Eventually she'll get hungry and eat what you put in front of her. Just be sure to continue to offer her a variety of foods on a regular basis and of course make sure she's getting plenty of fluids throughout the day. Caution though on drinks. These can be a meal buster: try to not let her drink too much right before a meal so she's hungry.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2009