• In the Spotlight:

what do i do about my 17 month old,when she's not listening,spanking doesn't work.

she likes to run to this tree that I think has poison ivy on it,and i've tried calling her by her full name,i've tried counting and popping her on the diaper.what else can i do?

LJW12383

Asked by LJW12383 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think I would pick her up and take her inside for a time out every time she went to the tree. If she likes to be inside, she will start to associate the tree with going inside which will not be what she wants. And, even though she's 17 months old, keep talking to her in simple language. "No, no", "owie", "mommy can't let you go by that tree" with the consequences so she starts to associate the punishment with that particular tree also instead of just running from you or something..... If I got desperate, we have a portable gate/fence thing and I would ring the tree with it to cut off her access.
    ldtchr

Answer by ldtchr at 9:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I know how you feel i have a two year old and she doesn't listen at all.I would do what idtchr said.The gate would probably work nicely!
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 9:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i would put her in time out if she kept on not listening to you. if she still wants to go by the tree- the gate idea sounds good. tell her it will hurt her. it will give her a "boo boo". "mommy does not want you near that tree", and suggest something else to do away from the tree- swing, kick a ball, etc. Good luck! I dont think spanking at this age works at all- IMO
    cmlowery

Answer by cmlowery at 10:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Spanking doesn't work on a toddler. All they think is that mommy is hurting them. Removal is the best way to teach them. You just have to be consisitant.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anonymous. Spanking doesn't work on a 17 month old. It will only make them be scared of you.

You have to be consistant. Or, maybe, baby proofing the tree? Haha.
    cleverusername

Answer by cleverusername at 1:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I'm shocked you'd spank a child that young. Try redirecting her. She wants attention, she doesn't care what kind and you are giving it to her. Please don't hit her. it won't work, it will only break down her trust in you.
    Anonymous