help me please having an issue with both sets of grandparents

ok so heres the problem i have been working very hard oh teaching my kids healthy eating habbits, i dont feel i go over board with it i mean i dont want them filled with soda and sugary stuff for more then one reason, I have really bad teeth and it runs in my family, (im 25 and need over 20 grand in dental work and i always took care of my teeth) anyhow and their dads side of the family all have weight issues and yet when they go over there (well to both sets of grandparents) they let them eat whatever they want and as much as they want, i mean to me eating healthy is pointless if you are going to eat 6 servings of it ya know? anyhow so i have addressed this issue time and time again and they refuse to respect that i mean they are eating 4 times in 2.5 hours and they are having like 3 or 4 servings at dinner instead of one (or reasonably two) (continued below)

mommie2twogirls

Asked by mommie2twogirls at 6:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• I told my parents, that I love them and I know they love G and its their job to spoil him, but he cannot have alot of junk food and sugar becuase they dont have to deal with him when they send him home to me. I dont fill up on the crap when goes there and they are not going to do that to me, and if they cannot do that then G cannot come and stay for long periods of time. I am his mother and what I say goes
    mommytoG

Answer by mommytoG at 3:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• cont. any how i dont feel i am being unreasonalbe about this to top it off both grandparents refuse to follow bedtime, which wouldnt be such a big deal if the girls were there all the time but they stay the night 3 nights a week (2nights at their dads mom and 1 night at my moms) on the nights im in school, i know both the kids and the grandparents love their time together but i cant take it anymore what do i do?
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 6:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Are they overweight? Do they have cavities? What are your choices? New babysitter or no school so you can be with them in the evening. The bedtime would bother me if it was screwing up my sleep. If they aren't endangering the welfare of anyone, finish school and let go. When your done, you can have everything your way. You can't force anyone to do anything and that's what is getting to you. The sooner you learn to influence what you can and not fret over the rest, the sooner you will have peace in the family and for yourself.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• at this time they are not over weight however both girls have had fillings done and my oldest needed one pulled currently they have appointments for two more fillings each i will NOT just put up with it it is very unhealthy for kids to not have normal sleep paterns and allowing the unhealthy eating now is going to be harder to break when they are older
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 6:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If it's that important, you will have to discontinue the arrangements and find a sitter who will abide by your wishes. You will have to eliminate times that the grandparents care for your children since they can feed them anytime you aren't around. Sure, it's hard to break bad health habits but it's also hard to repair broken hearts.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Are they watching your kids for free? I understand your frustration.. but their house their rules. If you want control I would say its time to hire a sitter that will agree to your terms. I know that's not what you want to hear, but its the down side of taking free help from family. (ESPECIALLY in laws and your parents.) Trust me when I say plenty of us Moms can relate -- I certainly can.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 7:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Been there omg, I know what you are going through. I feel for you and your children. That is a tough one to bit your tongue on. Be careful how you make your point with them, but please you are the mother and yes you rule on that one.
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• OMG--been there--done that!! but i do agree with pp that if they r doing this to help u out for free so u can go to school u might as well forget it. u cant control anyone but yourself. encourage the girls to use good dental hygiene at g'parents home. send a tooth brush, etc. with them to stay there for them to use after they eat.maybe that would make u feel better. How old r they?? one other thing, if they r offered stufff they dont ever c except at there g'parents they r going to chow down. r u sure u r not trying to make up 4 what u cant get them to do somewhere else at home? just a thought.
    Anonymous

• It comes back, actually i have a 4 month old and mine just came back but it was too late found out yesterday he cheated. sucks right?
    Anonymous