My 18 month old has a fever of 100.9.Should i rush him to the doctor or stick with the tylenol?

My family wants me to rush my son to the doctor for every little thing. Last night he had a fever of 100.9 and he stuck his fingers in his mouth and made himself throw up (where the heck did he learn that?) I gave him tylenol and the fever slowly went down but my family is still telling me to rush him to the doctor. Is that really neccessary? Isn't that why they made over the counter fever relievers so you wont have to bother the doc? (by the way i know it says contact physicians for children under 2 but I give him the same dosage the doctor recommended the first time he had a fever) I would also like to know when should you take a toddler to the doctor. PLEASE HELP!!!!! NEED ANSWERS ASAP!!!

jjsmommi5

Asked by jjsmommi5 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him Tylenol. If it does not go down with that, then you take him to the ER. Call and make an appointment with the doc tomorrow. It is not necessary to rush them to the ER for a low-grade temp
    Anonymous

• I probably wouldn't even do tylenol for that low a fever...just make sure he's getting plenty of fluids. Ask your doctor for their recommended "see me" fever level. At 18 months, I think it was over 102, but can't remember too well.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I personally would not...

My son is two, and the doctor only wants me to rush him in if his fever is 104. At their age, they can handle more of a fever. My son had a fever up to 105 (the dr took it in the office) he still did not rush me to the ER. We doctored him with tylenol every four hours. Children's, not infants.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 6:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• And I agree with half pint, I wouldn't give tylenol either. He probably is teething....
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 6:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oh dear I hope he starts to feel better. What I've learned with my kids is to give them the Tylenol and wait an hour. If it doesn't go down then go ahead to the Dr, but if it starts to go down then that means the medication is working. To be quite honest with you, they first thing they will want to do in the ER is give him medication, and wait and if his fever goes down. So far it has always worked that way for me. We wait it out and I haven't had to take either to the ER yet. Good Luck!
    KrystleShaw2007

Answer by KrystleShaw2007 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• http://www.seattlechildrens.org/child_health_safety/health_advice/fever.asp

Read that, it's from my hospital's website. Click the tabs that say "Call doc now" "treat at home", etc

His fever is low grade, treat it at home. There's no reason to sit in teh waiting room for hours. Call his doc tomorrow if he still has a fever
    Anonymous

• 100.9 isn't much of a fever at all. I am not sure tylenol is even needed, but you do what you feel is best. I wouldn't go to the er for that. It ties them up, for nothing.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I didn't mean to click anon...so just let me know if you have questions. I hope he feels better soon
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• And the ladies are right :

Fever Medicine
    Give acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) or ibuprofen (e.g. Advil) for fevers above 102°F (39°C), if your child is uncomfortable. The goal of fever therapy is to bring the temperature down to a comfortable level. Remember, the fever medicine usually lowers the fever by 2 to 3°F.

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I feel your pain. I"m a mom of three and they all did this. My doctor said as long as they are drinking plenty of fluids (eating isn't as big of deal) they do not need to go in until 102-103 but he really pushed the 103. For any mom that seems so high but I've made that same call countless times to my doctor and he tells me the same thing. My kids have ran fever for several days at a time and he still told me the same. Just keep him drinking liquids. My youngest son, two, gags himself as well. He thinks it's funny.
    momof3boyz777

Answer by momof3boyz777 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2009