pregnancy AFTER vasectomy?

we are VERY done having babies and i was wondering...

did any of you get pregnant EVEN though your SO had a vasectomy?

my hubby is sched for his at the end of the month and i am petrified of still getting preg after baby is born....

mommy-2-3

Asked by mommy-2-3 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you really need to look up the risks and side effects. There are chances of you getting pregnant, especially the first year and it naturally reversing itself. Look up the dangers, etc online, because doctors don't always go through all the risks.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I believe there is a six week window afterwards ask the doc. It never hurts to be safe though. My cousin was concieved after a vasectomy so I would ask!!!!!!! Good luck!!!
    MyGirls04_09

Answer by MyGirls04_09 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My husband was done 2 1/2 years ago (will be 3 years in June) and I'm still not preg :)

It's cheaper, less painful and invasive, and more effective than if you got it done.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It happens more than most people realize. A girl I know is about to have a baby in March, and her husband had the about 2 years ago, so the baby was NOT conceived within the six week window after the procedure. I know another woman who got pregnant after having her tubes tied AND her husband had a vasectomy. Basically, if God plans for you to have another baby, you're havin' one! lol
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 6:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• this may sound gross but ive heard horror stories about the men have like...have to clear all the swimmers out, so it could be a lot of times befor they arent fertile anymore so watch out for that!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 7:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Above poster...that's what the 6 week window is for, lol. They go back after the 6th week and take in a sample. Then the lab checks it out to make sure the guy is shooting blanks.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i've read TONS of info on the net about success rates and such...

but i gues i wonder if AFTER the man goes back for the check up and is CLEARED (no sperm found) is it possible that later on he "could" get me preggo?
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• One of my favorite co-workers went thru a horrible story.
    Her hubby had a vac. after they had 4 children. About 4 years after the Vac. She turns up pregnant!!! He calls her a cheating *&^%$-----and they legaly seperate untill the baby is born and they can do a paternity test. Of course, they did a test and the baby was his and they worked things out, but still OMG...................His whole family disowned her that whole pregnancy, as did her hubby and older children. was horrible for her, but everything turned out ok in the end, I just felt so sorry for her. They should have known things come untied or unsinged or whatever sometimes. Nothing is 100%.
    loriloriaustin

Answer by loriloriaustin at 8:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• When I was pregnant with my first daughter we went down and he got the V. When my daughter was a year old we found out I was pregnant with my second daughter. I do suggest that he go to all the follow up appointments to do sperm counts and make sure it took, so to speak.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Like the previous poster I also know somebody who went through that. The husband got the vasectomy and a few years later she turned up pregnant they divorced because the husband accused her of cheating and they did a paternity test it was his. They didn't get back together though due to all the hurtful things he called her and accused her of. She walked away with alimoney and child support then moved on and found another man and did just fine for herself.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009