happy all day until evening then all hell breaks loose.....

my 7 month old is happy all day until right around 530 the unhappy fussy baby appears....he eats dinner at 4pm then a bottle at 6..i have tried giving hima little something to eat at 6 but that doesnt help tried playing doesnt help tried calm music and cuddling doesnt help......i am out of ideas.....at 7 he gets a bath a bottle then bed he sleeps all night, gets regular naps in the day plenty to eat.....i am a t a lose here.....
any tips or advice to get threw this.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what do you feed him besides a bottle? and how long has this been going on? he could be gassy
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• What time is he getting up in the morning? Maybe putting him to bed earlier would help. My son went to bed at 6:15-6:30 until he was 2.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 6:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• What you're dealing with is called paroximal crying or the "witching hour." It's normal and I've been through it three times. Just hold the baby, and comfort them as best you can.

Even if it's not colic, usual colic treatments work well for it. Try reading The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp. It will help a lot.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure this is not central to the problem, and the above posts look like very good advice, but I noticed something at my daughter-in-law's house: the TV came on in the early evening. #1 effect is that, while many adults usually have lost their higher-pitched hearing so they aren't bothered by it, TVs have a shrill whine which others of us - including babies - find really irritating. And this whine fills the house - I can hear it when I am walking by on a sidewalk outside neighbors' homes! ... #2 effect is just the general frenzy in the atmosphere that TV introduces, whatever the program is - people's level of excitement is raised by the commercials or the program & they have to talk over the TV to be heard. ... #3 effect is if you're watching news - the strident voices of reporters are VERY UNrestful, to say the least !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• This is a very very common time for babies and young children to get fussy. Try keeping the house fairly quiet and calm. I agree about the TV. The noise is called UHF and I could not have my daughter in the room with the tv on, even muted for months and months.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2009