What would you do if your friends kids were so bad in public.

I like hanging out with my friend, but her 4 y/o and 15 month old are out of control. Screaming, hitting, throwing things, running away.... We cant even chit chat for 2 minutes. I have an 8 month old, he gets fussy, but nothing I cant control. Would you tell your friend? Its getting to where I dont want to hang out with her..... thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes I would tell her....That it's embarassing for you to go in public with her the way her kid's misbehave.....I have family member's who kid's are like that...And they think nothing of it...Not me i believe a child should have some discipline....Good Luck!!!
    WvMommyof3

Answer by WvMommyof3 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would wait until yours is 13 mths old as not to jinx myself and my child LOL. I remember having a friend and just not standing her child because he was really out of control and bratty. I said omg my kids will NEVER act that way. Guess what? They did at around the same age her son was. By the time mine were that age her son was well behaved LOL.
    Anonymous

• Kids do get in the way of relationships.

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would maybe playfully bring it up. That's just me.

I know that I personally avoid two of my friends because their children are out of control. They are all between 6-10 years old.

I have a 2 year old, and I pray that he ends up being like my girlfriend's angel! (Who is 6)
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 7:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i have a friend that she has the same problem with her kids we just dont hang around them becasuse i dont want my son picking up what hers do her 3 year old says wrods that i dont even use so we just stay away i talk to her on the phone. and no i have never told her that is why we dont hang out i just make up stuff i have to do.
    Anonymous

• It's a little different having a fussy 8 month old compared to toddlers and preschoolers. I wouldn't say anything to her but try to do things together without the kids if that's possible. Or go somewhere where the kids will be able to be busy so they will be able to behave better, hopefully.
    I have a friend who's kid is a brat. At my DD's birthday party he made a mess every where he went, blew all the noise makers and bent the tubes before the other kids could have a chance. There was milk, icing and cake on the carpet. Also juice. If he's told something he will say no. The party was at my mom's house and he started exploring the house and my mom told him to go back down to the party and he told her no. I can't believe it. If someone the kids hardly knew told them something they would jump and do it!
    It's tough when your friends kids don't listen how you'd like them to.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have another friend who shares views on how we disipline our kids. We do differ on some things though and our kids have had to learn that every family has different rules. There are something's that are off limits at our house and ok in her's and vice versa.
    Our friendship is very valuable to us and we'd never tell eachother that the other's kid is bad or we handled something wrong. We do though expect the kids to abide by the rules of who ever's house we are at. They must also respectfully listen to the other parent if the situation calls for it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My kids did that only when people where around. Do you know if her kids only do this when people are around. Kids do it for many reasons. But mine did it for attention. They are now older and still get loud and crazy when people come over. But they soon calm down . Then they are so quite that I don't even know their in the room. lol You could say something but do sound like your judging her.
    Anonymous

• Just avoid her for a month or two. Kids go through spells. our twins used to do that. Then they got better. Time may make them better. Telling her outright may start a fight. You could say something like 'I feel for you, what are you gonna do? that has got to be hard."
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I used to look down on people who couldn't control their kids too! "My newborn is so perfect," I would brag, "there's now way he'll turn into a monster like that! He will be a well-behaved child." Unfortunately, reality often gets in the way of our fantasies!! He is now a 3 yo terror, though he's often good in public. But at the check-out lines, I don't even care. He can play with every single thing in the "impulse section," because frankly I'm worn out from making him behave through our shopping trip. He always puts everything back, save the gummy bears he begs for, which we usually buy for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2009