How can I get my 5-year old son to sleep in his own bed?

My son is terrified of the dark and even though I have a lamp in his room that can stay on all night,I still find him laying on my bedroom floor in the morning. He has had days where he does really well going to bed on his own,but in the past month he has refused to sleep in his own bed without a fight and he simply will not stay there al night. He often wakes up and crawls onto my bedroom floor beside my bed,or he will crawl into my middle daughter's bed. Please help! I need to get him back on a night time routine that is healthy for all of us.

Momofthree853

Asked by Momofthree853 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would ask him if hes having nightmares. Its pretty common in young children and then ask the pediatrician what to do for it. If it isnt that then he will eventually outgrow it. All my kids crawled into bed with us until various ages. My almost 4 yr old still does and on occasion my 8 yr old has a nightmare and does. One thing that worked with mine was allowing them to take a toy they felt safe with in bed with them. My oldest son whose now 16 had similar issues as your son. We let him sleep with his super soaker (without water lol) and GI Joes and a nightlight because that way he had a gun for GI Joe to use to keep him safe.

Answer by gemgem at 7:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i am going through the same thing with my son!
    tracy20

Answer by tracy20 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I live in a duplex with one other person on the other side of me,when they move their kitchen chairs,it makes a noise that we can hear over on our side,I found out that was one of the things that bothered my son,but now he knows what it is and is in his own bed for right now. I still expect to be stepping on him in themorning,lol, thanks for your advice though,I really do appreciate it and I'll try the squirt gun trick.
    Momofthree853

Answer by Momofthree853 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My son finally started sleepin on his own last year. (hes 6 now). The absolute only way we could get him to sleep on his own was to buy him a bunk bed.Once we set up his own space he was thrilled and excited to have his own bed and room
    HollieSpirit

Answer by HollieSpirit at 1:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009