at home hair color

What's the best hair color for at-home coloring and to cover those pesky gray hairs? Garnier looks nice for a few days, then I can see the grays again. Same with Feria. Nice 'n Easy I like a lot better, but same thing, it doesn't keep those grays covered long enough. I'm thinking I might have to go with Loving Care?? Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Get it done at a salon. Salon hair dye stays in MUCH longer...ALL at home dye fades.
    Anonymous

• Well if I could afford a salon, I wouldn't be asking! I wish, but those days are over for the time being :( I loved getting my hair done every few weeks. Those were the days. Sooo, help? Please? Is there a way to buy the color there, at the salon? I remember asking my stylist years ago what the brand of the color she used was, and at one time it was Goldwell and another time (different salon) it was Clairol. So that's why I've been sticking with Nice 'N Easy.
    Anonymous

• definately try COLORSILK it really covers the greys for a long time and even better, it contains NO amonia! even better, its between $2.50 - $ 3.50 , I've tried all other brands, colorsilk works best, dont let the price fool you.
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 7:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• WalMart just had a sale on Color Silk, 2 for the price of one. I think it was like $3 for 2 boxes. the color selection was limited, but I got one close enough.
    Anonymous

• whichever you use, make sure the color is labeled 'permanent', and you use plenty of product, to cover adequately. apply color to grayest areas first, and don't skimp. if i'm not mistaken, loving care is a semi-permanent color, so it will not completely cover gray, or last; it will shampoo out gradually. also, do thoroughly read the directions, and process for the exact time it says. sometimes 'heat' will help color penetrate better, so if you can, after applying the product, put a plastic bag over your head, to retain body heat. it won't hurt, but might help penetrate the cuticle better. if your hair is dirty with styling product, you might want to wash it a day before coloring, and go easy on the styling product. too much styling product can act as a barrier to the color product, and result in uneven color, or not 'taken' as well.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I use Herbal Essence...just got a new color tonight actually.lol. But I don't have gray hair...and if I do I have colored it so many times that I don't even know it.lol. I have also used a few from a local store called sally's beauty supply store and they have salon quality stuff. here's the link:
    http://www.sallybeauty.com
    check them out and see if they have something you can use
    butterfli4201

Answer by butterfli4201 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• if you want to do it at home i use herbal essence for my highlights and it works great
    SassyMommyBllck

Answer by SassyMommyBllck at 12:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yup---Revlon Colorsilk---cheap and works. Head to Walmart, babe!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I had problems with most home dyes taking unevenly and looking blotchy -- I tried Loreal Feria ... and I *love* it, the color is even and rich. I get a lot of compliments. I've used it 6 times now and haven't been disappointed yet! Good luck!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• The best dye I've used is teh $3 Clairol Balsam Color. It NEVER fades. Just get some deep-conditioning treatment, as it doesn't come with any (which is why it's $3!).
    And the salon is WAY expensive - I agree. I'm a firm believer in DIY-hair color, as I've been coloring my own for the past 12 years.
    And you said you tried Feria... I've tried to use it before, and it always fades... No matter if it's blonde, red, brown... Feria's just terrible.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2009