IS IT OK FOR MY 8 MONTH OLD TO WATCH CHILDREN'S TV SHOWS?

he watches noggin while i try and get some peace and quiet...but sometimes i worry, although they are all educational shows, i don't want to ruin him...can ya tell imma first time mom? ha ha

connorsmommy418

Asked by connorsmommy418 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its fine! the colors are actually good for his eyes. as long as he still plays as he gets bigger and hes not plopped infront of the tv constantly then you are doing no harm! and dont let anyone tell you any different!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son is 4 years old now and i use to always put on the baby enstein movies when i was showering or doing house work. Now he is very smart, loves to watch cartoons and he has always been able to speak very clear. I think that it is because of the tv lol dr. might disagree lol I don't think it will cause any problems as long as it is kid appropriate!!
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i agree with PP
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• No, it's not okay. He's 8 months old and needs to be played with. Sticking a child in front of a TV is what I call lazy parenting. I understand you need peace and quiet, but wait until you have somebody else watching him. If you need to get things done, try putting him in an activity center, so at least then he is playing and learning, not just starring at a screen. And I've read SEVERAL things that say that ANY TV under the age of 2 can cause developmental delays.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=1173446
    Anonymous

• we watch baby einsteins--i don't let her everyday--but it works great when i need to clean
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Television is not good for babies. Good for his eyes??? I've never heard that line. Go to the website for the American Academy of Pediatrics and read what they have to say. Read the hundreds of studies that have been conducted over the years on the impact of tv watching on children. Television is not good for children. It's that simple. The tv NEVER comes on in our house until after my daughter is in bed. We have a much happier family life because of it.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 7:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I read on the WIC website classes that doctors *say* its best not to let them watch television until atleast two. And even then it should be limited.

Thats what they said. BUT I've let mine watch a little (not alot of course) but to keep them busy while I straighten up or what not. I don't see how a tiny bit (less than an hr)of baby movies for a baby is harmful.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I wouldnt sit the baby in front of the tv. I think your baby should be played and interacted with instead. Maybe a little tv,but definalty not too much...that is too young
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son watches tv all the time. Alot of people say tv isn good for children under 2 but every child is different and so is every household. I only let my son watch educational shows. The tv is on noggin all the time. He learns alot of things that i try to reinforce and the shows reinforce many things that i teach him. Does this mean that we sit in front of the tv all day??? no!!! We have planty of time where we still bond and we're still a very happy family. The decision is really up to you
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I love how the people on here are saying that your a horrible parent if you let your baby watch tv I usually have on Noggin or Disney playhouse for my 9 month old while I am cleaning upfrom breakfast. she doesnt sit & watch it the entire time she plays & stops & watches. Im sure most of the people who say its wrong & to read this & that 1. has their children in daycare 2. gives or gave their kids plastic bottles. If you just limit the time its on & what it is why not. you can never really tell if its good or bad because every kid is different. use your own judgement your the mom you know whats best for your child!!!!
    madisonsmom419

Answer by madisonsmom419 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2009