help with my 4 year old!

I have a son who just turned 4 last week. I have been struggling for quite some time with trying to get him to entertain himself "calmly" while indoors.
Lately he has been making what I call "yucky noises". He will often growl/ roar at his younger brother. He will also have moments where he gets out of control and runs and laughs wildly. I feel very out of control of these outbursts. I have tried talking to him and also time outs when needed. I have never scene him do this around other people, which makes me believe that he is chosing this behavior. When I ask him to stop doing something he often says "NO!" and then it turns into a power struggle. (this is over and over all day long.

I am feeling very overwhelmed and that I have to keep him occupied constantly to avoid these outbursts. Any advice on handling this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you had him evaluated by a neurologist or developmental pediatrician?? Such behaviors can be associated with ADHD ADD and Autism. I am not saying by any stretch he isn't just choosing to do this. That is so possible. Talk to your peditrican or a behavioral therapist. If this is something that has been an issue for "some time" an evaluation might be in order to rule out such possibilities. I am not trying to be offensive by any means it's just a thought you may want to consider.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have considered that there is a possibility of ADD or ADHD, however would not be willing to medicate him for this before he is in school. I am sure he is not autistic, he is very very social and talkative. He is a complete extrovert and has no signs of autism. Thanks though.
    Anonymous

• My almost three year old does word for word the same exact, i mean exact thing.
    ChunchkinsMom

Answer by ChunchkinsMom at 8:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You say that at moments where he gets out of control and runs and laughs wildly. Look for the triggers! Is it after watching TV? Is it after playing quietly? Are there foods he's eating that could be causing this? Is it after a period where he's focused on something and then suddenly he's bursting? How do you react when he has these outbursts? Is it mostly verbal or do you pick him up? It could be he's found a way to get the attention he needs from you that's different from the attention you normally give him. So look at what he's doing before the outbursts and look at how you are reacting to them...what's different?
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009