if you are a sahm, would you be willing to switch roles?

Just a curious question, because soon in our house there may be a role reversal. If you are a stay at home mom, how willing would you be to go to work while dh stays home. And if you have done this, how hard was the adjustment?

ArmyWifeMomof3

Asked by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would be ok with it! DH is a general contractor and has been doing fine (considering the economy). Just yesterday he found out that the funding for his next job fell through and he won't have work until the end of February. I work part time and we have been saving because we thought this might happen with the economy in the state it is in. For the time being, I asked to work a little more at my job and may start looking for a career job in the next couple of months. If DH can't find anything. He will be a great stay at home dad!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't be willing to unless it was necessary. My husband and I both made the choice for me to stay home. I like being at home :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would probably jump at the opportunity, but I know after a year of sitting at my job I would want to change back!!

I have a friend who is a stay at home dad though and it works well for them:)
    Anonymous

• I've offered as a joke, but dh makes more than I could. But when he complains how rough his day is and hints that I have it easy, I kindly suggest he watch them for a few hours so I can have a break. Considering we have two toddler boys, both in temper-tantrum territory, he retracts his statement and tells me we both have rough jobs lol
    Anonymous

• Personal satisfaction, yes. However, I would have to ask the husband on why would he agree. STaying at home would not be a status symbol of men among men. So it would have to take a certain someone of a man to want to stay at home. Something tells me that his want to be at home goes further than just taking care of the kids.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 7:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• not so sure husband can do as good a job as I can =D
    Anonymous

• instead of switching the role, hubby works 1st and i work 2nd.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• it is because of medical reasons. not because we actually WANT to. believe me. dh is NOT thrilled with the idea of me going back to work and him staying home. we are very traditional and this goes against that, but right now our income is very unstable and if can get a stable job, it would really really really relieve some major stresses at the moment.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 6:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009