Just curious?

My DD started wanting to hold the spoon while I was feeding her so I gave her one to hold. With in a day she was putting it in her mouth the correct way every time. She is 6 mo is this a little early? I just want her to develop at her own pace. Not ready to put food on her spoon b/c I am not ready for the mess yet! LOL

coala

Asked by coala at 7:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sound like she is developing within normal range. Let her try some food. I know you don't want to deal witha huge mess, but let her try it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• is she eating solids yet? just start with a little of cereal on the spoon (not too messy!)
    madisonsmom419

Answer by madisonsmom419 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• No thats around the time my son wanted to feed himself. he'd always grab the spoon and try to do it himself. What I did was I'd feed him a little let him try himself then i'd repeat it over and over again so its less the mess. But eventually she's gonna say "mom just give me my food and come back to clean when i'm done" lol thats the routine for me now!!!
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• We can't eat cereal, but we are on solids and it is going well. I will give it a try.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Forget the mess! If you want her to develop at her pace then let her go crazy with the spoon. Her pace is saying she wants to give it a shot.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Make the spoon available to her. That is how she will learn.

Have fun!
    pamkay414

Answer by pamkay414 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• if she is being the boss and letting u know what she is ready for then i would say its normal and maybe u should let her try a little food. maybe she'll be able to feed herself at a young age!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If she can do it, she IS developing at her own pace. If she wants to, let her try. By letting her take the lead in eating, you avoid a lot of feeding problems down the road.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2009