What can I do to prevent hip problems in my Golden Retriever?

I have a 6-month Golden Retriever puppy who likes to lay on the tile floor with her back legs out behind her. (I'm sure it's nice and cool on her tummy!) However, I have read that this breed has a lot of problems with their hips later in life. Can laying on the floor like this contribute to this problem? Should I try to train her not to lay like this?

jburg2541

Asked by jburg2541 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pets

• Hip dysplasia is a genetic weakness where the hip joints are not formed properly and the ball of the femur won't rest properly in the hip socket. Ask the breeder if your pup's parents have an OFA certificate (x-rays to diagnose hip dysplasia are examined then the dog will be given a rating....excellent, good, fair or poor). Responsible breeders will make sure their dog has a good OFA rating and will not breed a dog with fair or poor ratings. Your other option is to wait until your dog is 24 months old and have her x rayed for the dysplasia. If she has it then you can certain measures to make sure it's not aggravated, such as being overweight, etc.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have never heard lying in that position to contribute to hip problems. Exercise her, make sure she is eating right and not over weight and that will help a great deal.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• What food do you feed her?
    because the food that i would recommend that has the glucosamine and chlordan that is made for joints is called Nutro Natural Choice they have that in all their foods from Puppy to Senior that will help as well as what the anetrnlov says exercise will help and going through training classes if you can afford them petsmart's is a decent price 109.00 for an entire 8 week course one hour each week and positive reinforcement as well as 100 % guaranteed if you dont like the results the first 8 weeks than u can take the class again till you do.
    I worked at petsmart
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Keep her slim--even a few pounds on a dog can cause a lot of problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i had a golden until 13 yrs...she had seizures...she would lie on the floor like your dog and never had any hip problems and she was a little chunky...we still have her...
    blsource

Answer by blsource at 2:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Definitely use a nutritious dog food. We fed our Goldens Iams all the time. There is a large breed formula Iams that has the nutrition large breed dogs need to grow healthy bones and joints. If you feed it as recommended your dog will not have problems with weight.

Exercise is good, but do not run with your dog on hard surfaces like pavement or concrete.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• michiganmom116,your answer is right on.I agree with you 1000%.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 11:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Keep her active, but not overly active. The best thing to give her in her later years (about 5yrs old) start giving her Glucosamine vitamins, they help keep bones strong.
    MamaMudd7

Answer by MamaMudd7 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2009