How can you get a 14 year old to go to school?

My son is 14 yrs old and is LD/OCD/ has mood disorders and on the autism spectrum and an IEP> He HATES school. He only goes for 3 hours a day but it still is very difficult to get him there. HELP.

gerri1015

Asked by gerri1015 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• idk...my best friends little brother (i think he's like 15 or 16) wouldn't go. Her parents called the cops and they took him to juvi for a while.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If he is only going for 3 hours is it possible to homeschool him?
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Take him to school and drop him off, watch him go in the doors. It is really that simple.
    Anonymous

• Wow...I knew kids who's parents did that. Not so simple...they would still skip school.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I don't think that it is as simple at taking them and dropping them off. I was a teenager once and if I wanted to skip I would not matter what my mom did. I would look into homeschooling if that is possible and maybe if learning on his own time works better for him then that is awesome. If it doesn't maybe talk to a resource officer and look into what they think that they can do to scare him into going due to truancy. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son is autistic. Find something that really interests him and use that as a goal and if he goes all week without having problems buy that thing and tell him that he can use that only if he goes to school without any problem. I know it sounds like bribery but it worked for me, I bought my son a game cube and I haven't had a problem for 4 yrs. now, once a month we go to buy him a new game for it.
    CherylLynn

Answer by CherylLynn at 8:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i would put on my best, fuzzy, vomit pink bathrobe... put in some of my best sponge rollers....
    some knee highs and some slippers and i would accompany my child to school for a week or two....
    see how they liked THAT!.
    mitch576

Answer by mitch576 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2009