My almost 3yr old is and angel when we are at home but so hyper when we go out places. Its embarrassing sometimes! I know he is just testing boundaries but I cant get anything done. what do i do?

ChunchkinsMom

Asked by ChunchkinsMom at 8:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is there someone you can leave hi w/while u run errands? I had to do this w/my son and I would make a big deal of saying"i wish you could behave but since you have such a hard time, I'll go do fun stuff alone" and he stopped lol because her thought he was missing something.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• When you go out, do you have things for your son to do? I always make sure my son participates wherever we go, especially if it's shopping (he helps me pick out our fruits and vegetables, we explore the stores we're in, he asks and I answer his questions about what he sees). Also, when you go out, do set out the ground rules and consequences before you leave. Are you consistent with maintaining the rules and consequences, even if it means stopping what you're doing and going back home? Do you allow him to play (within reason) when out and about? Also, you might consider giving him a lot of physical play time before going out with him to help him get his energy out.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If he acts up at home what do you do? Do the same thing in public. Consistency is key, he has to know that behavior not allowed at home is not allowed in public.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2009