• In the Spotlight:

Do you believe that organized sports benefit all kids?

Even if your child is not the best athlete, do you still support organized sports and the discipline and teamwork it teaches them?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 8:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it takes kids out of their shells and makes them active in the community as well. Some teams do volunteer work etc. Its good to at least let them try out a sport, if they dont want to continue it after a month etc then they should not be forced to continue. I think its a positive thing.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I support it but no I do not think it benefits all kids.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It doesn't benefit everyone...I'm case in point that not all kids become better people from being on teams. I played soccer as a kid and it just made me feel horrible about myself. I was an overweight child, so I wasn't the most popular person on the field, if you know what I mean. Nobody was my friend, nobody talked to me and nobody passed the ball to me. I thought maybe I'd make a good goalie...but nope, I sucked at being a goalie too.

Now, I believe that JROTC in high school benefits all kids. I did four years of it and loved it :P
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• why is this in religion and beliefs?
    Anonymous

• because it is a question asking moms what they BELIEVE in regarding sports.

anyway, ANON, the question was clear, so why bother opening the post and answering it, if it bothers you so much.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• every team needs a waterboy, or ball chaser.
    Anonymous

• all is sort of an extreme term but I do think that the vast majority do...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• No, not really. Playing on a team & competing when you're not at all the "athletic type" can just open the door for redicule & bullying.

Everyone has their niche -- and it's often not sports. It's our job, as parents, to help our kids figure out what theirs is.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I agree with Laura.

It doesn't benefit ALL kids. There are other ways of learning discipline and teamwork. I do support organized sports and as long as my kids are enjoying it, I'll let them play.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• sure.. but I'm not going to push my kid into something she is not interest in either... they teach kids about team work, trying to reach goals, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2009