Do you tell the neighbor kids to be quiet?

Is it okay to tell the neighbor kids to stop screaming their heads off when your baby is asleep? They always wake her up and it drives me nuts, but I don't know if I have the right to ask them to QUIET DOWN!!! (not that they'll listen anyway the punks.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That depends, do you live in an apartment or a house? And are they screaming at night, or during the day?
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have found out from experience, that parents don't like anybody to tell their kids anything.

But if they are out side and you want to just do it and see if it will work.

Answer by louise2 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I live in Townhouses (grouped building with 3-6 houses in each) and it's 6:40 pm here.
    Anonymous

• I would at least try talking to the parents about it. Especially if they are waking your baby up at night. If you are leasing check your lease to see if there is an excessive noise rule in it (for the night). I don't think you are out of line to at least talk to the parents about it though. If it doesn't work, at least you tried.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Put a sign up in your window that says Please Shhhhh Baby Sleeping. If they continued, I'd go out and point to it with a smile. If at that point the punks continued I would use the 24hr noise bylaw in my City, call the po po till they find another place to grow upツ
    MaMaBean905

Answer by MaMaBean905 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't dare say anything to anyone's kids around here or I might get shot or threatened. I asked the neighbors (adults) once if they would please be a little quiet as they were outside my stoop (next door to where they live) at 2 a.m. and although I asked very nicely when I shut the door I heard the woman say something horrible about me.

It all depends on the kids but I wouldn't do it, not even if I lived somewhere else.
    Anonymous

• I have spoken to my neighbors kids before (even while I was pregnant...quite a site..lol). I live in a cul-de-sac and they were playing soccer; using trash cans as goal posts. Well, my truck/house/neighbors nice car were behind the goal posts. It was past 10pm at night and car alarms had gone off 3 times. When I heard the ball hit my garage, I said that was enough and marched outside. I asked them to please keep it down and be more careful of their playing; no more alarms went off. It probably wasn't the smartest thing to do alone; but I deserve a minimal amount of respect as an adult/fellow neighbor/human being!! Kids these days are not being taught respect.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• yes I can. My neighbor believes that we live in a village and her children must listen to us no matter what we ask of them. All 6 of her boys are rambunctious but very well behaved. So yes i have the right and if they don't listen I call their mom.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• it depends on what u think the consequences would be but i would probably go try to just tell them nicely that they are waking up the baby and could they be a little quieter. it probably wouldnt work with disrespectful kids and especially during the day they would just say whatever and keep doing what they want. but its worth a try. i don't think i would yell at them all angry cuz they will go to their parents and then you'll have a big problem
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Absolutely. Ask the parents if you think you need to, but I think if my kids were outside raising a ruckus when someone's baby was trying to sleep I would expect them to be told to shush. It is all in the delivery in my opinion.
    "guys, the baby is so tired and I finally got him/her to sleep. Could you play more quietly or go on the other side of the house where he/she can't hear?"
    That is a reasonable request.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2009