Independent Play

I am working with my 4 year old to learn to keep himself busy. He plays great with me or other kids. If no one is playing with him he becomes whiny or hyper (bouncing on couches, ect..) I cannot seem to find any toy that he is interested in playing with independently.

Does anyone have ideas on how to help him learn to entertain himself?

moma16412

Asked by moma16412 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son will be 4 in march and he love Lincoln Logs and Big legos. Or anything that makes noise.
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 9:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You might try starting him off with side-by-side stuff - like helping you clean house (to kids, this can be play). What is he interested in? Answer that, and then find toys specific to his interests. If he likes manipulating things, then blocks, lincoln logs and legos are great. Puzzles about things he likes (dinosaurs? trucks?). Help him build his imagination and get him look for some playsets he can use (tool sets, kitchen sets, whatever...).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009