school question

We have a bit of a disadvantage were we live. I am going to ask this question delicately and hope that no one gets mad at meWe live in an area that is mainly spanish. They are some of the nicest neighbors but the school system is very poor in values and in teaching abilities. So my question to you moms is if you had the choice would you try to get to a different school that is actually closer to your home that is a bit of a better standard wise or just try to stay in your district so child can learn to get along with all types. I do not want him to fall behind as this districts grade point average is on the cities lowest. I want him to learn to be sort of by ligual but I do not want him to suffer his education. The other school is also mosty spanish so that is not the issue. Like I said I do not want anyone to think i am against them I just want to know what to do?

matthewjsmom

Asked by matthewjsmom at 8:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would not leave him there because you feel bad. Your childs education is why you want to switch not because you don't want him in the school of that ethnicity. i would not let mine go to the school with the lowest GPA just to get along with the neighbors.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Depends. Maybe do a little more research on why the school has a 'poor standard'.

Schools get higher ratings based on the state mandated test scores. The higher the score, the "better" the school. How do the schools get those awesome high ratings? By teaching to the test 6-8 mos out of the school year. They kids are "learning" the material they'll be tested on & are memorizing for the test - not learning as much as that school would like you to believe.

I went to a "5 Star School" for 10 yrs - HATED it... boring as hell.... very controlling district.... have very few happy memories there. Then, went to 3 different highschools. 2 were "poor schools". Those "poor schools" were the best years of my life. They DIDN'T teach to the test.. that's why they were so great. They made learning fun - lots of hands on stuff, lots of field trips, and TONS of encouragement & interaction with the faculty.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I agree with the other posters.... Do a little more research.... If you can find a better school where he'd be happy, then switch. Could be the teachers there......
    momtomatthew02

Answer by momtomatthew02 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I kinda had the same issue here and i will admit i am hispanic and all the schools near me are mostly spanish speaking kids and majority of kids are hispanic . My Kids education is very important to me so I went to about 5-6 schools near me didnt like any of them After a long search i did find one where i totally love for my kids , my kids are ages 4 and 3 and the school has a huge layout on how they teach kids and what they teach them and there is only 12 kids to a class but 2 teachers in one class because some students are not as fast pace as other kids so the other teacher helps the kids that are not as fast paced i drive about 10 miles from where i live to there school and to me it is worth it cause i know they are learning something.And they enjoy going to school.
    demonfairy23

Answer by demonfairy23 at 1:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• thank you to all who have answered so far. When I called to ask the secretary about signing him up for school she was not very helpful. She didnt know when sign up was or even if She needed to send me info first.If he goes there he will be in a english class since he speaks no spanish. I still would love him to learn some spanish, just not the worst words.lolMy dh thinks he should go there but I am also woried because more of the gang families are there.
    matthewjsmom

Answer by matthewjsmom at 10:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Absolutely, without a doubt, try to get him in a better school! This is Matthew's education! You want what's best for him and his future. That should be your primary focus. He's a smart kid. If you don't think he is getting a good education where he is, try to get him somewhere else. That is why our guys are not in MPS. We also have them in private school because we know they will be taught the values we feel are important.

Jill
    marajosmom

Answer by marajosmom at 6:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I would try to give my child the best education he can get.....he only gets the one chance!
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2009