What do you give to a 3 year old to stop his cough ?

My son since Monday started a cough out of no where. He was at my sister in law where my parents in law are staying during they visit. As I had to help my husband at our pizza store on Monday my parents in law was watching him there all day. My mother in law told me about this cough but I told her that sometime he does cough but there is not a big deal. Well now it is : ( My mother was here too and left on Sunday and she had a cold and is coughing now (the end of her cold). He did catch her cold but it didn't last long and didn't show any symptoms during the rest of her visit (she stayed here a month).

Thanks in advance for your response.

Paros

Asked by Paros at 8:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• A cough is one of the hardest things to get ride of, if it bothers your child take him to the Dr and he can give him a cough med that will get ride of it. my DD use to get a cough and after a week of it and nothing else my Dr would give her a cough med that had steriods in it to help,,, after about 3 days on the med, the cough was gone
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• alot of docs now would rather you not give a young child any cough medicine but when your up in the middle of the night with a coughing child the last thing you want to do is have him/her suffering through the night- I found the greatest trick ever though- it worked like a charm with my 3 boys with every cough the have gotten this winter so far- take a glob of vicks vapor rub and rub it on the bottom of the child feet then put socks on their feet- no lie within 15 to 25 minutes youll notice the cough slows then comes to a stop then next thing you know theyre sleeping through the night and you wont hear a peep- another trick of mine is taking a tablespoon of honey and mix it with a tablespoon of lemon juice it makes an almost cough syrup that will coat the throat- I even use that trick on my self with sore throats and coughs
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I was told by another mom on here to rub vicks baby rub on the bottom of your childs feet and then put socks on. Do this before bedtime. My daughter currently has a cough and it is normally only at night..we have done this and it works. I also read that giving them honey helps.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I love the vapor rub on the feet trick. It really works to the point that my 9 yr old will ask for it, even when she doesn't really have a cough. it has really and truly helped with my 3 yr old who seems to have every cough and case of viral croup available. We also do a lot of steam and into the cold (or a glass of ice water if you don't want to go out in negative temps.) I remember the honey and lemon from my childhood. It works, but still gives me the willies. I couldn't and still can't stand the stuff.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• It can take a couple of weeks to get rid of coughs. Anything you do to relieve them is just that...temporary relief...

His upper respiratory track is irritated from the cold and it takes some time to heal. If the cough gets worse or lasts longer than a couple of weeks then take him in to be checked...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2009